PDA

View Full Version : New Member With a New Tank

hamdogg08
06/26/2007, 09:29 PM
I just turned one of my freshwater ten gallons into a FOWLR setup. There are 4 lbs of LR in the tank, a powerhead attached to a sponge filter, a blue damsel, blue legged hermit crab, and 1/2" of arganite sand. The light is a 96 watt 6700 deg K CF light. I am planning on using the Berlin method as a means of filtration. What should I get next, a protein skimmer (if so which one) or more live rock (if so which one)?

SaltyDr
06/26/2007, 09:32 PM
I would get more liverock. Most aim for 1 1/2 to 2 lbs per gallon (can vary with density of rock). Since it is such a small tank I would skip a skimmer and just do a 1-2 gallon weekly water change.

drummereef
06/26/2007, 10:34 PM
Check your other thread. ;) More live rock would be my choice, but you'll need to cure it outside the tank first. You don't want to add live rock directly to an established tank unless it is fully cured. And by that I mean there is no trace of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. A skimmer isn't really necessary on a 10g, if you keep up on 10% weekly water changes. ;)

hamdogg08
06/27/2007, 12:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10222107#post10222107 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SaltyDr
I would get more liverock. Most aim for 1 1/2 to 2 lbs per gallon (can vary with density of rock). Since it is such a small tank I would skip a skimmer and just do a 1-2 gallon weekly water change.

If I skip the skimmer, will the LR be enough to filter the nitrates out of the water? I have a book that discussed a berlin system, and it suggested that the skimmer was the most important part of the tank. It pretty much said that it removes all the crud out of the tank before it really had a chance to break down. Is it different with smaller tanks? Also, what type of live rock should I get? I've seen tonga, fiji, tahiti, marshal island, carribean, and dry. Is there any kind that is regarded as the "best"?

kkyyllee
06/27/2007, 12:41 PM
skimmers arent nessacary on smaller tanks, the liverock will be enuogh if your tank has 1.5-2lbs/gal, liverock depends on what look you like, dry rock is baase rock which wont be "live", has your tank been cycled yet?

hamdogg08
06/27/2007, 12:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10222620#post10222620 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drummereef
Check your other thread. ;) More live rock would be my choice, but you'll need to cure it outside the tank first. You don't want to add live rock directly to an established tank unless it is fully cured. And by that I mean there is no trace of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. A skimmer isn't really necessary on a 10g, if you keep up on 10% weekly water changes. ;)

What exactly do I have to do to cure live rock? From what I understand, I put it in a container, and let it sit over night with a powerhead, heater, and bubbler. The next day, I do a 100% water change in the container. 24 hours after that, I do another 100% change, and then use a brush to get all of the gunk off. Then I just let it sit until it stops smelling bad (about 7-10 days) How does that plan sound?

hamdogg08
06/27/2007, 12:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10225904#post10225904 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kkyyllee
skimmers arent nessacary on smaller tanks, the liverock will be enuogh if your tank has 1.5-2lbs/gal, liverock depends on what look you like, dry rock is baase rock which wont be "live", has your tank been cycled yet?

No it hasn't cycled yet. Does the dry rock ever come back alive if you put some live rock in the tank? Also, I've heard of people getting little inverts with their live rock. What would maximize my chances of getting a cool bonus instead of regular old boring rock?

kkyyllee
06/27/2007, 12:52 PM
i would take back the damsel and the hermits now since it hasnt cycled yet, then add the rest of the liverock you want to the tank and let it cycle, the dry liverock will come alive, it can be seeded bye the liverock

hamdogg08
06/27/2007, 05:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10225995#post10225995 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kkyyllee
i would take back the damsel and the hermits now since it hasnt cycled yet, then add the rest of the liverock you want to the tank and let it cycle, the dry liverock will come alive, it can be seeded bye the liverock

Can't I use the damsel to cycle the tank?

kkyyllee
06/27/2007, 05:18 PM
you can..but its not nessacary and just cruel to the fish, but def. take back the hermits they wont survive the cycle, i would reccomend taking back the hermits and damsel and then adding the rest of ur liverock and leaving the tank to cycle

hamdogg08
06/27/2007, 05:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10227816#post10227816 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kkyyllee
you can..but its not nessacary and just cruel to the fish, but def. take back the hermits they wont survive the cycle, i would reccomend taking back the hermits and damsel and then adding the rest of ur liverock and leaving the tank to cycle

Ok, I'll take them back. How will the cycle work then? I was under the impression that having only one fish and a crab in there with cured live rock and live sand wouldn't be a problem because there would be a small bacteria population already in the rock and sand.

kkyyllee
06/27/2007, 05:43 PM
if its cured liverock you can keep them if thats the fish you wuld like, and just monitor levels too make sure they stay in check

kkyyllee
06/27/2007, 05:44 PM
when liev rock isnt cured there is die off which creates the amonia nessacary to cycle the tank

Moonstream
06/27/2007, 06:52 PM
Take back the fish and hermits and buy uncured rock. Put it in the tank and let it cycle, their may be a bad smell coming from the tank during the cycle, that is normal. After you have cycled the tank start adding animals, first should be the clean up crew, then the fish and any inverts. Stock slowly and be patent. Also, skip any damsel besides one of the smaller clowns (perc, false perc, and pink skunk), the damsels are too aggressive for their own good lol ;). Aqain stock slowly, and w/ the knowledge that 2 small fish are it for this tank. Even that is pushing it.

hamdogg08
06/27/2007, 06:53 PM
I have a 96 watt 6700 deg K CF lamp over this tank. Will this cause any problems as it is not a 10000 deg K light? There is a lot of algae in the tank, but I'm thinking that it is due to the tap water I initially used to fill the tank.

hamdogg08
06/27/2007, 06:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10228427#post10228427 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Moonstream
Take back the fish and hermits and buy uncured rock. Put it in the tank and let it cycle, their may be a bad smell coming from the tank during the cycle, that is normal. After you have cycled the tank start adding animals, first should be the clean up crew, then the fish and any inverts. Stock slowly and be patent. Also, skip any damsel besides one of the smaller clowns (perc, false perc, and pink skunk), the damsels are too aggressive for their own good lol ;). Aqain stock slowly, and w/ the knowledge that 2 small fish are it for this tank. Even that is pushing it.
Speaking of cleanup crews, is there a general checklist of certain things to get? For example maybe a certain crab for hair algae, then a nother for a different kind, then another for the gunk in the bottom of the tank.

Moonstream
07/04/2007, 03:20 PM
Not really, but here is a list of a good clean up crew to start w/ increase over time if there is still algae.

1 Cerith Snail
1 Nassarius Snail
2 Margarita Snail
2 bumble bee snails
1 dwarf hermits
small cleaner shrimps like pepermint and skunks can also be kept, they will keep the tank inhabitants free of pests like itch. it would be best to keep them singly tho in such a small tank.

DONT GET AN EMERALD CRAB!!!!!
they are far from good, as they get larger they become a terror, and are very bad choices of cleaners.
be very careful not to over stock in such a small tank. 2 very small fish is about all you can keep in there.

hamdogg08
07/04/2007, 04:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10272590#post10272590 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Moonstream
Not really, but here is a list of a good clean up crew to start w/ increase over time if there is still algae.

1 Cerith Snail
1 Nassarius Snail
2 Margarita Snail
2 bumble bee snails
1 dwarf hermits
small cleaner shrimps like pepermint and skunks can also be kept, they will keep the tank inhabitants free of pests like itch. it would be best to keep them singly tho in such a small tank.

DONT GET AN EMERALD CRAB!!!!!
they are far from good, as they get larger they become a terror, and are very bad choices of cleaners.
be very careful not to over stock in such a small tank. 2 very small fish is about all you can keep in there.

Would a brittle star be able to go in there? I saw some videos of them online, and they look totally awesome! Also, I got my first piece of REAL live rock (real meaning it's not that crappy stuff at the other fish store with nothing growing on it.) and there is a little crab on it! Should I worry about him? Also, he's barricaded in the rock, so I haven't gotten a good look at him yet.