PDA

View Full Version : rubbermaid sump Users, quick questions??

boostd2valve
06/27/2007, 11:25 AM
Looks like this may be a good route for me as i found a tub that fits my stand perfect...Just wanted to make sure what brands are OK to use, Im guessing rubbermaid is ok, what about sterlite(spelling) also what is used in these to make chambers, and what glue to use? Seems like a cheap route to use....thanks for any quick help

ediaz
06/27/2007, 11:47 AM
I use rubbermaid for my brood stock system that has about 10K worth of fish in there, have used sterilite sometimes with larvae but not enough to known them well, I use a lot of these for larvae it does not get more delicate than that:

http://www.tufftubs.com/

most local farm supply stores carry them, they even find you a store if you email them, and they are cheap.

Ed

luke33
06/27/2007, 12:47 PM
The only prob with using rubbermaids is there aren't really chambers. It bow's adn the chambers won't work. I suggest it its not going to be seen to wrap alot of duct tape around it. I know its kinda silly but it'll keep it from bowing out. Also, you can add smaller rebbermaid's in there for chambers ; ) Has the same effect. I have two 40g rubbermaid's connected to one another for a 40g fuge and a 40sump. It works perfect. The only thing i don't like about it is that the bottom isn't flat so you have to get a stand for your skimmer.

boostd2valve
06/27/2007, 01:46 PM
yeah, thats the only thing i wasnt sure about the bowing part..Im not planing on running a superlot of water through it and its not going to be for a big system so i wasnt sure..but i like the duct tape idea...thanks keep the coming!!

ChuckNorris
06/27/2007, 02:24 PM
yea I had the same question. How do you put baffles or dividers in there? Are they even needed?

luke33
06/27/2007, 02:38 PM
Dividers are smaller rubbermaids in the larger rubbermaids.

ChuckNorris
06/27/2007, 04:30 PM
I do not really understand how to set that up. Does anybody have any pics? Sorry for the hassel I just want to get this right.

Thanks
Sean

PorFshGuy
06/28/2007, 12:03 PM
Well if you want to make chambers or baffles in the rubbermaid containers you can use eggcrate with a thin layer of plexi. Not very pretty but worked well for my Fresh tank.

ChuckNorris
06/28/2007, 02:25 PM
alright cool. Thanks a lot. I have been doing some looking around and I think I got the rubbermaid tub inside idea now. Thanks a ton.

Sean

token
06/28/2007, 04:28 PM
Some of the Rubbermaid products have "feet", extruded protrusions on the base. Removing these is a must, imo. I can personally attest to the damage a leak from these can do if the weight in the tub wins a battle with the plastic.

I have used Rubbermaid products in a variety of shapes and been very satisfied but I try to reinforce the "ripples" on the bottom; a "frame" of some type with a bit of foam insulation into which I press the Rubbermaid is just one way to do that.

Good luck!

ChuckNorris
06/29/2007, 11:04 AM
So are you saying grind the "feet" off of the bottom. I have a 100 gallon tub rght now for curing live rock and it has the feet but it has had no problems for 1.5 years.

Thanks
Sean

Dell2go
06/29/2007, 01:16 PM
Good idea.

token
06/29/2007, 04:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10240057#post10240057 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ChuckNorris
So are you saying grind the "feet" off of the bottom. I have a 100 gallon tub rght now for curing live rock and it has the feet but it has had no problems for 1.5 years.

Thanks
Sean I have a 150g Rubbermaid trough that I trust tremendously; it's "feet" are a web of plastic. This replaced my ~50g tub that forced itself down over one corner of a foot that was about .5" tall all the way around the tub. It was after about a year or so of service.

I might have jostled it or some such but the mess was quite the event. I now ensure that the bottom is as flat as I can make it if it doesn't start out that way. I just did this with a new trash can for a nano's sump.

ChuckNorris
06/29/2007, 10:16 PM
So the bottom just suddenly collapsed one day?

glaudds
06/29/2007, 10:58 PM
I had this setup for 6 years before switching to an acrylic sump...two Rubbermaid totes plumbed together...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/GLAUDDS/sump/SUMP.jpg

Right side drain from tank and fuge...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/GLAUDDS/sump/SUMP001.jpg

Left side, skimmer and return...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/GLAUDDS/sump/SUMP3.jpg

ChuckNorris
06/30/2007, 12:20 AM
Wow I like that idea. Do you think it is easier than having a 100 gal rubbermaid tub. I was planning on having a 40 gal tub like yours for a refugium.

ludnix
06/30/2007, 01:19 AM
I'm limited to 18" in width max for a sump, does anyone know where I could get a rubbermaid or similar container close to that size in width?

glaudds
06/30/2007, 01:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10245321#post10245321 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ludnix
I'm limited to 18" in width max for a sump, does anyone know where I could get a rubbermaid or similar container close to that size in width?

I would try target and walmart.

glaudds
06/30/2007, 01:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10245117#post10245117 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ChuckNorris
Wow I like that idea. Do you think it is easier than having a 100 gal rubbermaid tub. I was planning on having a 40 gal tub like yours for a refugium.

I like the larger volume lf the 100 gal tub. You could use the 40 gal tub within the 100 tub for the fuge. It could have a seperate water feed and have it overflow into the 100 gal.

JustOneMoreTank
06/30/2007, 12:19 PM
4 - 5 wraps of Duct Tape around the top before you fill the Rubbermaid container with water will prevent the Bowing. :)

ChuckNorris
06/30/2007, 03:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10245349#post10245349 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by glaudds
I like the larger volume lf the 100 gal tub. You could use the 40 gal tub within the 100 tub for the fuge. It could have a seperate water feed and have it overflow into the 100 gal.

Yea i was planning on having the refugium seperate in a 40 gal rubbermaid container. Thanks for the duct tape advice as well.

token
07/01/2007, 05:17 PM
Here are a couple of pics of the feet I will be addressing as I put this Rubbermaid XL into service as an RSDB (it's this (http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd150036) tub, btw):
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/nattoken/Tub.jpg
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa231/nattoken/Tub02.jpg
The failure point has been for me one of the inside corners. As the weight (in this tub, pushing 300 lbs.) bears down (possibly compounded by the lateral effects of bowing), a leak developed around one of those corners.

I will do with this one what I wish I had done with the last one. I will make a frame out of 2 x 6 and plywood. I will put some of that foam insulation in the bottom (about an inch), set the tub in to its feet on the plywood and then fill the gaps between the frame and the tub with more. I let it sit for 24 hours and trim away the excess and paint the frame.

I want the foam to fill all those ridges, too, as I suspect that Rubbermaid didn't stress test these things for the uses for which we intend them. At 42" long and with handles, I am sure that Rubbermaid thought the average person rarely puts much more than 75lbs. in it.

Just seems to me that putting 35-40gals. of moving water through it might be more than it can take without a lot of help...