PDA

View Full Version : ozone and aminos

reefkeeper2
06/27/2007, 01:47 PM
If you dose amino acids, what would the effect on them be if you use ozone? Wouldn't the ozone alter them or clear the water of them quickly?

Boomer
06/27/2007, 02:22 PM
Yes, it may very well oxidize them and change them.

reefkeeper2
06/27/2007, 04:28 PM
Hmmm, can't have my cake and eat it too? So it would be a waste to dose and use ozone. I wonder if I could shut off the ozone for 24hrs after dosing and if that would be long enough for the coral to absorb or benifit from the amino acids.

bertoni
06/27/2007, 05:41 PM
After 24 hours, I would think the skimmer would remove any amino acids, if one is in use. I use a countdown timer to turn off my skimmer for a few hours when I feed. The same might be doable with your ozonizer.

Boomer, what do you think?

Billybeau1
06/27/2007, 07:50 PM
I don't see any reason why you can't turn off your ozone for 24 or even 48 hrs while the aminos get absorbed by the corals.

Many ozone users only run their ozone a couple times a week anyways.

Boomer
06/27/2007, 08:30 PM
Yes Jon I agree on that issue also and a very good point. The skimmer will pull this stuff out also and even without ozone. So both would have to be shut down for a period.

No reef, as both Jon and Billy pointed out, you can not have your cake and eat it too. :D

Henry Bowman
06/27/2007, 09:29 PM
I have often wondered the same question regarding the addition or use of Prodibio or Zeovit. After adding the bacteria and other elements are they skimmed out and or changed by ozone or use of a UV unit before the corals utilize what they need?

Boomer
06/27/2007, 09:41 PM
That Henry would be an interesting test, to see what the rate is. One thing one could check, as far as skimmers go, is to see how hydrophobic or hydrophilic these AA are. Skimmers are hydrophobic absorbers.

This has some discussion but has ben ages since I have read them

What is Skimming?
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/rhf/index.php

Organic Compounds in the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/rhf/index.htm

I'm leaving for the Foster & Smith frag swap in Rhinelander Wi so take a look.