PDA

View Full Version : Question about feeding

seagirl
06/28/2007, 11:33 AM
I was wondering how often you guys feed your tank. I usually feed mine i cube of mysis a day, a 2"x2" piece of nori, some frozen cyclopeeze about 5x per week, dt's about twice per week and some formula 2 flakes about once every 2 weeks. Now i do biweekly water changes and the nitrates are always around 40 at the end of those 2 weeks. I recently went to get some frags from a guy and he had a beautiful 150 gal tank, nitrates 0 and everything healthy. When i told him what i was feeding he said it was WAY too much and that's where my nitrates were coming from.

He suggested to stop dt's(i have bad HA and always a little cyno) cut the mysis cubes in several pieces and only feed them about twice per week. also only give nori everyother day, and cyclopeeze about once per week. His tank looks great, so i think i am going to take his suggestions, but how often do you guys feed and do you agree with the feeding schedule he suggested? Thanks for any comments.

Stock in tank-

4" yellow tang
2" skunk clown
lawnmower blenny
3.5" blue sided fairy wrasse
2" dark blue chromis

Some frogspawn,torch, couple softies, some zoos.

seagirl
06/28/2007, 02:40 PM
bump. c'mon guys,how often do you feed

cdangel0
06/28/2007, 03:21 PM
Honestly, I feed when I think of it, every 2 or 3 days.

I will offer the occasional sprinkle of formula 2 pellets when working around the tank. But generally they get a seafood slurry of silversides, scallops, and shrimp 2-3 times a week. I feed oyster eggss twice a week and Nori every other day.

Bi-weekly water changes and Nitrates rarely go above 10.

seagirl
06/28/2007, 05:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10234655#post10234655 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cdangel0
Honestly, I feed when I think of it, every 2 or 3 days.

I will offer the occasional sprinkle of formula 2 pellets when working around the tank. But generally they get a seafood slurry of silversides, scallops, and shrimp 2-3 times a week. I feed oyster eggss twice a week and Nori every other day.

Bi-weekly water changes and Nitrates rarely go above 10.
thanks for the responce.

Billybeau1
06/30/2007, 09:25 AM
I feed my fish twice a day. Once in the morning and once at night. My trick is to make sure not to feed more than they can consume in 5 min and feed slow so no uneaten food gets to the filter.

I really don't like starving fish. I don't think I would like it. :D