View Full Version : failing tank? lord I hope not

06/28/2007, 03:43 PM
Well hello again, I am David. new to the site ... I have had my tank For almost 4 months now. It is a 75 gal. With a coralife pro light. I forget the exact type of light it is. and I have a sump with a skimmer. The tank has cycled or so I am told by the LFS. due to parameters. I have 8.3 pH, 420 Ca. no ammonia. and for some reason I keep getting this brown algae or slime not sure what you would classify it as. But I have done water changes every month. I feed only once a day. with rinsed myosin shrimp. and I cant get rid of this stuff. I do a baster rinse on my LR and have been cleaning my SB. but the next day there it is again. I have cleaner crew in the tank. some star fish. 2 clowns a LTA and a handful of different corals all LPS. I want to start doing more but I am afraid that something is wrong so I keep waiting. to see if it is going to clear. Help please am I doing something wrong. I am afraid my livestock might be suffering because of this. My LTA isn't acting right. the fish seem OK but still my leather isn't opening up like it should. and my green elegance is not bright like it used to be. and I am loosing polyps...it this a failing tank?

06/28/2007, 03:47 PM
how many fish do u have? My suggestion would be to up the water changes to @ 20% once a week, and keep that as a standard.

06/28/2007, 04:09 PM
Some possible causes of algae are:

1) Using water that has not been properly filtered
2) Not enough current/stagnant areas of the tank
3) Overfeeding/too many nutrients

There are more but these, alone or in combination, seem to be the most common.

06/28/2007, 04:32 PM
Add some patients and a little more time, and that should do it. If you have no ammonia or nitrite I think changing the water is going to add to the problem, it will use all the nutrients and die.
Watch your nitrate ,if that starts climbing you might need to do a little water change,are better yet add somemore microalgae. This has not been tested SO no refunds due at your own expanse

06/28/2007, 04:33 PM
Do yu use RO/DI water? If not, take a cup or so of your tap water into your LFS you can have it tested for phophates. A possibility is that the water you are using for exchanges and top ups are adding phosphates to your tank which will only cause the porblem to get worse especially if you are echanging water when you are trying to clean up the problem.

06/28/2007, 04:38 PM
Ditto on swencel's idea. Get phosphates tested for, and test them like you would any other parameter. Phosphates and nitrates are two of the biggest contributors to algae.

How deep a sandbed do you have? Personally I'd advise you quite trying to clean it and get a cleaning crew to do this for you.
keep in mind certain "cleaners" only clean in certain area's of a tank. How many nassarius and cerrith snails do you have?

06/28/2007, 06:43 PM
Sorry I will be a little more specific.

The light is a:

48" Aqualight Pro 2X150W HQI/2x96W PC/3x1W Lunar

The skimmer is a:

Tank parameters are:
Ca 410
Alk 2.3
NH3 0.0
pH 8.4
NO3 2.5
NO2 0.0
Tank Temp:

Ranges from 75-78

And water is the pre mixed salt water from AJ
SG 1.023

and ran a carbon pillow for the past few days

I am using R/O DI water pre salted from LFS

I have about 20 hermits and snails in the tank , two sand sifter starfish, a cleaner shrimp.

I have a 1 inch crushed coral SB

Hope this helps some.

06/28/2007, 06:49 PM
you have a diotom prob just get the ro water and mix it your self. are you seeing it on the glass or every where

06/28/2007, 06:51 PM
one prob is the sand bed is only an inch thick, i recomend 3 inches that will help with that bacteria nitrifing thru your tank

06/28/2007, 08:11 PM
Read Myth #15 in this article. (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.php)