PDA

View Full Version : powerheads or ????

trd47
06/28/2007, 04:31 PM
Ok I'm getting ready to start a reef tank with fishes, live rock etc and I'm getting ready to order my equipment.

But had one question...

should I get a power head for example a tunze nanostream AND a wavysea wave maker plus? Or would the wavysea wave maker plus suffice?

Heres my logic, the power heads are used to circulate water in the tank.

Where as the wavysea wave maker will create currents with the water from my sump translating to circulated water.

Would that be the same thing???? Movement of water from the fans in the power head and movement of water in the tank, from the water that is being returned?

Correct me if I'm wrong. Which I probably am.

Thanks though.

Rustylugnuts
06/28/2007, 04:36 PM
Be careful with the flow through the sump. Too much and you'll be dealing with microbubbles. I believe the general consensus is ~ 3-5x total tank volume/hr . my $.02, I would love the tunzes and wavemaker but my budget will dictate hydor koralias.

Henry Bowman
06/28/2007, 05:16 PM
Either way it is flow that is needed in the tank. Whether you do a wavysea or korila is up to you. Dont see why you would need both if the option you go with creates enough flow.

AND

I agree with Rusty. Pushing too much through a sump can cause issues (microbubbles).

fish2
06/28/2007, 06:15 PM
i would prob go with just the powerheads, ive got the wave maker . my corals realy didnt care for it . it depends on the corals, where they where harvested. deep reefs or shallow reefs. if your beline cycling the more flow the better