PDA

View Full Version : Selcon and Vita-chem soaking...

hobbzz
06/29/2007, 12:42 AM
How do you guys "soak" your large food in selcon and vita-chem? I'm talking about silversides, frozen krill, squid etc. Not mysis, brine, or flake food or anything small like that.

Do you put drops directly on the food? Or do you thaw the food, then let it sit in just enough water to cover half the food, then add the drops to the water and let it soak?

People always just say they let it soak for 10-15 minutes, but I highly doubt people soak it in pure selcon and vita-chem, and they never specify...that would be kinda pricey! :D

ndas2976
06/29/2007, 04:42 AM
What I do is, in the morning I take out the food that I will be feeding that day (silversides, clams, squid, krill, prawn, mysis, bloodworms). I put that days portion of food(s) in a small plastic container add 2 droppers of selcon to the food then I put it into the the fridge to defrost slowly (about 8 hours). When I get home from work, I add water from the tank to slightly cover the food and let it soak out of the fridge for about 20 minutes then I feed the tank.

I'm also interested in how others prepare their food with selcon or any other vitamin.

honda2sk
06/29/2007, 07:35 AM
i rinse my food off in tap water, strain out all the water, put it in a cup, one day I will put in 10 drops vitachem, the other day I will put in a full syringe of selcon. let it soak for maybe half hour before first feeding. then I just feed throughout the day as needed from same cup.

CarlC
06/29/2007, 08:46 AM
I thaw my food in a cup with alittle tank water. Once thawed I add 5 or 6 drop of either. I alternate them daily but two times a week I also add beta glucon. I let this sit over night in the fridge. In the morning I strain the food until nothing is dripping. I add more tank water and feed through out the day.

Carl

hobbzz
06/29/2007, 10:13 AM
So basically when you guys soak the food, you simply apply the solution (selcon, vita-chem etc) directly to the food...except Ndas2976, who also let's it soak in a water/solution mixture...

bunkerboy
06/29/2007, 10:18 AM
Can you use Selcon for freshwater fish also? Bunker

hobbzz
06/29/2007, 10:25 AM
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5009&Ntt=selcon&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

It says "Concentrated nutritional supplement for marine fish and invertebrates", so I'm not sure that it would be very healthy for fresh water...

DamnPepShrimp
06/29/2007, 11:14 AM
I'd soak it in a water/selcon or vitachem mix, not directly just selcon or vitachem, that would be to pricey and over kill. I have a plastic cup and I fill it up with enough food for a few days, add freshwater or tank water and lots of selcon or vitachem, mix it all together. I put it in the back of my fridge and it just barely freezes. When I go to feed, I thaw some out, and feed.

pinkie
06/29/2007, 01:36 PM
I put all the frozen food I will be feeding into a cup, then let the cup sit in a pool of hot water (so the food is dry but the cup is in the water) so that it still defrosts quickly without washing out any nutrition in the food. Once it is fully defrosted I put 3-4 drops of Selcon, Kent Marine's Zoe, and a splash of Garlic Guard on the food and let it sit for about 20-30 min. I then pull out pieces of food and feed them to the fish individually. Throughout the feeding I pour the liquid in the tank (as the selcon bottle states to do) so that the fish get the benefit of the vitamins through regular respiration.

justinl
06/29/2007, 02:04 PM
very small amount of tankwater (just enough to cover the food) and a milliliter of selcon.

sometimes if i have nothing better to do, I will take a hypodermic syringe and suck up some selcon. I then inject the thawed food directly and feed. it works very well and uses only a few drops of selcon, but you have to clean all the parts of the syringe immediately afterwards.

happyface888
06/30/2007, 01:04 AM
is selcom the same as vita-chem or is selcom much better?

justinl
06/30/2007, 01:13 AM
vita-chem and selcon are both supplements but they are different. vita-chem is obviously mainly a vitamin supplement. selcon is geared more towards getting the right fatty acids i believe. dont ask which is better. there's no answer.

CarlC
06/30/2007, 06:27 AM
They are both needed. None of the foods we offer are balanced or complete in suppling the nutritional needs of our fish's.

Carl