PDA

View Full Version : A story about iodine and shrimp

SDguy
06/29/2007, 07:57 AM
I have never dosed iodine in any of my tanks, ever. A while back, my pair of harlequin shrimp was looking sluggish. They had a star to feed on, but weern't terribly interested. They were actaully resting their bodies on the ground, not just on their legs. Not a good sign, IME. I also have a pair of skunk cleaners. I've had the cleaners for almost as long as the tank has been up. For the entire time I've had them, one cleaner has been a runt. It obviously had a parasite since it's underbelly was solid white (no, not eggs). It ate as much as the other cleaner, but was only half the size...barely growing. It did molt a few times, with no change to the parasite.

Well, I was pretty worried about the harlequins, so I though I would add some Lugol's iodine to the tank, as I remember hearing iodine is important for shrimp. I added the recommended 1 drop per 25 gallons.

Literally the next day, the harlequins were ripping apart the seastar, and low and behold, the small skunk cleaner had a completely clear underbelly...no parasite! It has since molted and now carries eggs like it's bigger partner.

Can I prove this was due to the iodine. Nope. But wow, some coincidence then, eh?

Just thought I'd share.

drummereef
06/29/2007, 08:29 AM
Huh, interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience. I don't know if there's a way to connect the two but it is quite a coincidence none the less.

socalreefer73
06/29/2007, 03:14 PM
My cleaner shrimp, aka jacques, in my first tank would molt within days after a water change... :P

edwing206
06/29/2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks for sharing Peter. I think I'm gonna keep a bottle of iodine in case my shrimps ever look odd.

justinl
06/29/2007, 03:27 PM
sometimes a dose of iodine can help but regular dosing of iodine can actually prove detrimetal to a shrimp (or other things that molt).

iodine encourages more frequent molting but that isnt necessarily a good thing. molting is a very stressful time and during and directly after is when the organism is at its weakest by far. plus before molting there are things that have to be done in preparation like sucking up nutrients from the old carapace and starting a new carapace under the old. iodine can disrupt this cycle by causing a shedding before everything is prepared. this is why i generally discourage regular iodine dosing in a tank with shrimp, crab, mantis, etc.

SDguy
06/29/2007, 05:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10241740#post10241740 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by edwing206
Thanks for sharing Peter. I think I'm gonna keep a bottle of iodine in case my shrimps ever look odd.

That was my thinking. I do not dose iodine otherwise.

SDguy
06/29/2007, 05:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10241776#post10241776 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by justinl
sometimes a dose of iodine can help but regular dosing of iodine can actually prove detrimetal to a shrimp (or other things that molt).

My shrimp were molting regularly already (the smaller one less frequently, of course). The molting never got rid of the parasite. The parasite disappeared prior to another molt. This was the really interesting aspect of the situation.

rppvt
06/29/2007, 05:51 PM
I've had crabs molt and die after a dose, so I dose rarely, I'd rather do water changes.

Roy G. Biv
06/29/2007, 05:57 PM
Look what iodine did to this shrimp!! There should be a warning on the label.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t251/pmolan/Ironman027.jpg

SDguy
06/29/2007, 06:34 PM
I change 32g in my 115g tank once a month.

pmolan, what's wrong with that shrimp, other than it looks like it would give Kong a run for his money :D ?

socalreefer73
07/02/2007, 01:35 PM
Guess who molted after last week's water change? yup, my shrimp... right on que.. :)