PDA

View Full Version : plumbing question

cwilson
06/29/2007, 01:14 PM
hello,
im going to be blumbing a 40 gallon breeder into a 29 sump, which will be in the stand directly below the tank. the display will have two small overflows, of which each line will stay independant of the other and flow into the sump seperatly.

there will only be one return line, which will leave the sump, pass through an inline return pump, and then feed into the display throught a single output.

would it be wise to connect the two overflow lines ( using a T joint or something similar ) to only have one input into the sump, or would i be fine with the two seperate lines?

also, is there anything i should do to attach the plumbing to the stand or somehow secure it down? or will the system be fine with the pipes "just kind of floating" ?

and finally, is just basic PVC ok to use? and can i use regular PVC cement or is there a special type/brand that is a bit safer for aquariums?

any info would be great, and thanks for looking!

oharaell
06/29/2007, 01:44 PM
I'd keep the drains separate. If they're plumbed together, you've gotta worry about leveling the drains etc...

You can attach the plumbing to the stand if you want, some do, some don't. It definitly makes things look cleaner.

Standard thinwall PVC is better than SCH 40 because you can get more flow, and it's cheaper, but SCH40 is fine too.

Regular Pipe Dope is fine, I use the clear primer so I don't stain everything purple. :)

cwilson
06/29/2007, 02:15 PM
thanks for the advice!

yeah, ill probably attach the PVD to the stand somehow to keep it out of the way; ive got to fit a 29 gallon sump/fuge, a 23" tall skimmer, plumbing for two overflows, a return pump and a return pvc line all in a stand thats 36"X18". ive got to save room for my hands!! :D

and ill probably use the pvc anf the primer clear as well

get those ugly purpley-ooz-drip-makrs outta here!

thanks again!