PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine Tank Equipment Selection

Meadowlark
06/30/2007, 01:55 AM
I'm almost cycled in my main tank and am looking into buying what I need to setup a QT tank. Please tell me if you agree, my main tank is a 55.

10 gallon
Maxijet 400 (106 gph) powerhead
Marineland Biowheel 100 H.O.B. filter
50 Watt Visi-Therm Stealth heater

I'll probably just get a sheet of plastic to cover the top and no light. (maybe just a lamp in the room on a timer).

A few small pvc fittings.

Young Frankenstein
06/30/2007, 05:22 AM
I got almost the same setup and it works fine for me.

papagimp
06/30/2007, 07:51 AM
Perfect. But you will want to add something for the fishies to hide in. I pesonally would not add live rock, but some PVC or fake decorations...just something so the new scared fishies are not out in the open stressing out constantly.

Europa13
06/30/2007, 08:03 AM
Perfect. You don't really need to worry about covering the top, and a light isn't necessary. You don't want any sand or LR in a QT. A few pieces of PVC work great.

kevin2000
06/30/2007, 09:03 AM
If you paint the outside bottom on the QT white you can readily spot any uneaten food/fish debris -- siphoning out this crud on a regular basis can make a significant difference in ammonia issues in a QT (turkey baster works fine as a siphon tool).

I recommend the purchase of an inexpensive Seachem ammonia alert badge ... they are pretty accurate and it will save you from having to do a zillion ammonia tests during the Qt period.