PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Medic Ocean Light Users

jchillin
06/30/2007, 11:31 AM
I have been using 2 Aqua Medic 250W Ocean Light Pedants for about 1 1/2yrs. I have had to replace my bulbs every 6 months because they burn out. When I go to replace the bulbs I also have to replace the sockets because they are burnt. I have experienced the problem with both Hamilton & Phoenix 14K's.

I am not getting the life out of the bulbs that I would expect, and am spending more money on replacement bulbs & sockets than I would like.

I spoke to Aqua Medic and they said the ballast are over driving the bulbs, and recomeded I use a higher quality bulb.

Has anybody else experienced this issue, and can you recomend a fix?

Thanks.

DarG
06/30/2007, 02:02 PM
It has to be one of 3 things. The bulbs, the ballast or the fixture.
There are plenty of people using the bulbs that you have, especially the Phoenix, that are not reporting bulbs burning out on 6 months. So, I would eliminate the bulb from the equation.
I assume that it is happening with both of your pendants.
Anyway, that leaves the fixture and the ballasts. They are external, magnetic ballasts and double ended bulbs, right?
It could be that the fixture is not adequately ventilated. Running hotter than normal could certianly be a reason why a bulb would burn out prematurely and could also explain the sockets getting so hot that they are burnt (I assume by burnt you mean they have areas where there is dark discoloration, not actually burnt like they caught fire and are charred).
Finally, the ballasts. They are probably magnetic, HQI ballasts, again assuming that these are for DE bulbs. But maybe Aquamedic is right and they designed the ballasts around their Aqualine bulbs (Aqualine Buschke). Maybe the Aqualine bulbs have higher ratings in terms of wattage than some other DE bulbs like the Phoenix and Hamiltons. And maybe the ballasts supply more power than some other magnetic HQI ballasts.
I'm guessing here now, but sounds like it is either the ballasts/bulbs, or a heat issue of a combination of both.
I would try some extra ventilation if possible like adding a fan / fans to blow into the endcaps of the pendants and help cool them. Also, you may want to consider trying the Aqualine bulbs. They are more expensive than most but are good bulbs. I know they have 10000K and 14000K in the 250 watt de versions. They may have a 20000K as well. Maybe you can find an Aqualine bulb that will suit your needs and see if that fixes the issue.

I think that it is assumed that all DE bulbs are HQI and all HQI ballasts are designed for all DE bulbs because they are all HQI.
I'm not an expert but I was reading recently that HQI was a trademark name for the first Double ended metal halide bulb design by Sylvania. It actually stands for High Quartz Iodide. I do know that HQI's have just 2 main electrodes but I dont know all the details that charaterize what is and what isnt actually an HQI bulb. Also, I do know that technically both DE and SE bulbs can be HQI it's just that majority of the time they are DE. I'll have to find the link. But a DE bulb is not automatically an HQI. So, I wonder if maybe the Phoenix and Hamiltons are technically not true HQI's and maybe that would account for the Aqua Medic ballast driving those bulbs beyond spec and contributing to your problems.

I dont think I was a great help, sorry. But maybe it will lead you in the direction of a more definitive explanation.

Fishie Nut
07/01/2007, 12:50 AM
Are you sure the bulb is seated in the fixture properly. If not, it will burn out more quickly and burn the socket. Make sure it's snug in the socket.

Volcano1
07/01/2007, 12:57 AM
I have been using Phoenix 250 and 150 DE in my 72" 3 x 250, 2 x 150 Ocean light for several years with no problems. I do use an external fan to cool it also. Only problem I've had is fish splashing water on the glass lenses and shattering them.