PDA

View Full Version : Gravity feed auto top off

cotter4601
06/30/2007, 02:19 PM
I'm trying to build a gravity auto top off for my display. I took a reef crystals bucket and drilled a hole in the bottom of it. I have a tube coming out of the bottom connected to a ball valve. Then that line will go to the tank to fill it up. The bucket is sealed air tight with screw on lid. I have a hole drilled in the top of the lid and I used a bung, for a wine carboy, with another air line. This line will also go to the display and will allow air into the bucket, to push water out, when the water drops below this line. My question is, what level would be the best for this bucket? Level with the tank, lower, or higher? I know it can't be too much lower for it to work that way. I just want to make sure I have this thing setup right. I have been testing it in the kitchen and it works pretty good. Any other help is welcome.

http://josy.isa-geek.com/images/gravtopoff1.jpg
http://josy.isa-geek.com/images/gravtopoff2.jpg
http://josy.isa-geek.com/images/gravtopoff3.jpg

pressthebutton
06/30/2007, 05:31 PM
I tried exactly what you did, but was met with failure. the problem was when the water blocks the air intake the pressure of the water trying to get out of the bucket caved in the sides until half the water was out.

maybe yer bucket is stronger and will work good luck

Paul B
06/30/2007, 06:03 PM
I guess you are not married if you have this thing on your countertop.
That being said, I have a 5 gallon bucket in a different room from my tank, the water goes from a tube in the bottom of the bucket to the float valve in the tank. The bucket is hung higher than the tank so the water goes to the tank above the hung ceiling to the tank. Water is supplied to the tank from the RO/DI and there is a homemade electric float switch in the bucket to turn off the water to the RO. No airtite bucket and so far after many years no floods.
Good luck with your idea.
Paul

ddenham
06/30/2007, 07:17 PM
I tried a similar thing with a plastic water carboy (5gal clear plastic watercooler jug). a DIY Nurce setup. It didn't work because of the flex in the plastic would allow too much vacuum to develop an it would "burp" and add too much water or just dump for some reason.

I now have a simpler method similar to Pauls', but I add RODI to the reservoir with a cheap garden hose timer on the inlet to the RO filter. I check the bucket occasionally and adjust the timing on the timer.

Mr..Tang
06/30/2007, 07:22 PM
Why don't you use a simple foat vave from foster & race.
Part number cd-524779

cotter4601
06/30/2007, 08:58 PM
Actually, I am married, but my wife was at the mall. So I decided to play around a little bit with a new idea.

I thought about using a wine carboy, but since wine season is just around the corner I decided not to so I can make more wine.

After researching and considering your responses I think I'm going to get a float valve for now. I think that's a safer bet. Then I'll get my RO/DI machine hooked up to that. My concern with my initial setup was too much water going in at one time and altering the salinity too much.

Paul B, would you mind sharing how you made the float switch for the RO machine? Sounds like a good idea. What's a good way to secure the float valve in the tank?

cotter4601
06/30/2007, 09:00 PM
Actually, I am married, but my wife was at the mall. So I decided to play around a little bit with a new idea and see how it worked.

I thought about using a wine carboy, but since wine season is just around the corner I decided not to so I can make more wine.

After researching and considering your responses I think I'm going to get a float valve for now. I think that's a safer bet. Then I'll get my RO/DI machine hooked up to that. My concern with my initial setup was too much water going in at one time and altering the salinity too much.

Paul B, would you mind sharing how you made the float switch for the RO machine? Sounds like a good idea. What's a good way to secure the float valve in the tank?