PDA

View Full Version : ATO help!!!

TracyZeuner
07/01/2007, 08:33 PM
OK, so I have the jbj ATO and it has worked great. My tank started to evaporate about 2-3 gallons per day so I switched out my 5 gallon bucket for a 20gal garbage can. My problem now is the 20gal can is higher then the sump and I cant make it stop siphoning water into the sump from the 20gal can after the power goes off on the ATO. Is there some way to create a siphon break? Right now I am using a small pump that sits on top of the can and pulls the water from the 20gal can and then sends it to the sump. If it matters, the pump is a Aqua Lifter

T Man
07/01/2007, 09:32 PM
Have you looked into a check valve? They make them in different sizes and are fairly cheap. Another option is to cut a hole in the can lower than the sump water level and go with a small bulkhead- that's a lot of work though. TinMan

fours2many
07/01/2007, 09:50 PM
Hmm, good question. I am sorry I can't help you. I am just setting my ATO up and was going to do the same thing you did. If you find an answer to your question, please post it, for those of us that need to know.

Thanks,Kristin

TracyZeuner
07/01/2007, 10:15 PM
Do they make check valves that small? The tubing I am using is very small and where would I put it? The water is not flowing back ito the top off water but the flow does not stop when the pump turns off.

sjm817
07/01/2007, 10:22 PM
I dont see what good a check valve would do. An electric shut off valve would be more like it. Can you put the ATO container in the basement?

T Man
07/01/2007, 10:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10255272#post10255272 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
I dont see what good a check valve would do. An electric shut off valve would be more like it. Can you put the ATO container in the basement?

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=WYE005&Category_Code=

read it for yourself...I'll bet that this would work after the pump is shut off.

And TracyZeuner, how small is the water hose? This one is 1/2', you can always reduce- but if they make them this size, I'm sure if you look around you can find them smaller. Maybe a place where they sell ro/di parts will help. TinMan

sjm817
07/01/2007, 10:30 PM
Ok, I read it. Its a check valve which like any check valve, only allows water to flow in one direction. That isn't the problem. The water continues to flow IN THE SAME DIRECTION with the pump off since the water container is higher than the output (a siphon).

T Man
07/01/2007, 10:52 PM
I'm sticking to my guns on this onehttp://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/8264

Resistance at .07 cfm, probably enough to break the siphon in either direction.

Run the water line straight up and then back down to the sump. TinMan

shag26272
07/01/2007, 10:54 PM
can you put the airline up into your overflow in the aquarium? I have the same setup and this has happened to me a few times, I raised the line up higher and it stopped.

sjm817
07/01/2007, 10:55 PM
There is a difference between a siphon and a back siphon. The only way to break a siphon is to introduce air into the circuit.

This would fix the problem (http://autotopoff.com/products/solenoid/index.htm)

8BALL_99
07/01/2007, 10:59 PM
A Check Valve Won't work.. It will stop the water from filling the sump when the ato kicks on.. Now if his top off container was lower then the sump and he wanted to keep the sump from draining to the topoff container a check valve would work.. He wasn't saying a check valve doesn't work just saying its not needed here..

Just make a small hole in the water line in the container.. Up near the top.. Some water will spray out of it and back into the container when the pump is on, but most will go in the sump..When the pump cuts off it will act as a siphon break.. This is how I fixed the problem.HTH

sjm817
07/01/2007, 11:05 PM
Interesting fix 8BALL.

8BALL_99
07/01/2007, 11:05 PM
Oops I just read wha pump you are using.. My pump was just a maxijet in the bottem of the container.. For a aqualifter sitting above the water a siphon break won't work.. You will have to get a solenoid and plug it an the pump into the ATO..

TracyZeuner
07/02/2007, 01:15 PM
8ball_99-I am going to try your idea using a maxijet. I have a spare one in the garage, I will let you know how it goes

TracyZeuner
07/02/2007, 02:55 PM
8ball_99 your a life saver!!!
I hooked up the maxijet at the bottom of the 20gal can and ran the tubing into the sump. I then drilled 3 holes in the tubing and placed it just above the water line and turned it on and when the ATO turned off,the siphon broke and the water stopped pouring into the sump.
Thanks again

8BALL_99
07/02/2007, 11:14 PM
:thumbsup: Np.. Like I said I had the exact same problem a few years back. I sat in the floor looking at my top off container for atleast 30 mins before I had the oh yeah moment lol...