PDA

View Full Version : True Perculas

sixspeed
07/02/2007, 12:57 AM
Hi, i have been doing research into what aneomone to get for my 75g in the future. The tank is still in its "maturing" phase and is only a month and a half old. Recently we added a mated pair of true percula's and in a few months (5 or so) want to be able to give them a home that they will hopefully host in. But after doing a little bit of research i have found that true perculas do not naturally host most anemones. And the anemones that they do host in the wild seem to be the more difficult ones to keep. I just wanted to hear peoples experiences with getting their true perc's to host. What have people had success with? Should i avoid an anemone and see if they will host an lps like frogspawn, hammer or xenia?

Let me know what you all have learned from keeping true perulas.
thanks.

MTB
07/02/2007, 12:22 PM
Mine hosts zoanthids. I think they can be coaxed into the anemone. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but don't they take to sabea anemones more readily than others? My LFS has a perc pair and a carpet anemone in a display. At least they say the clowns are percs, I still can't tell the difference.

sixspeed
07/03/2007, 01:32 AM
I cant believe there are only two of us with a pair of true perculas on RC, thats very surprising.

BristlewormKing
07/03/2007, 04:46 AM
I have one pair of true percs that host in a sebae - the other pair prefer their clay pot. Note that the anemone was in there almost two months before they even went near it!

sixspeed
07/03/2007, 08:32 AM
What type of lighting do you have for your tank with the sebae? How difficult is it to keep that type of anemone? Are your water parameters pristine?

Subliminal
07/03/2007, 08:41 AM
http://lh3.google.com/damontmorris/RoCGdkmsNCI/AAAAAAAABf8/58YhsJuZFIc/s800/IMG_2970.jpg

True percs and a BTA. Don't see how you can go wrong!

Took mine a few weeks to find it...now they rarely travel far from it.

sixspeed
07/03/2007, 09:52 AM
that is very encouraging, anyone else have success with true percs and BTA's?

fatdaddy
07/03/2007, 10:13 AM
I had mine hosted in a ritteri. They loved it. It took them about 10 minutes to find it and they completely ignored a BTA also in the tank.

I've found my ritteri to be hardy as long as you give them decent MH lighting, regular meals, and keep the water parameters in check.

BTA's are better for maroon or tomato clowns. Percs won't naturally host in them, but obviously some do.

I no longer have them because I had them in a 110 with a maroon which one day realized that she had had enough and murdered the happy couple. I'm still working out a reasonable punishment and plan to move her to a 29g.

DaveG99
07/03/2007, 01:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10262835#post10262835 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sixspeed
I cant believe there are only two of us with a pair of true perculas on RC, thats very surprising.

There are many people on here with a pair of true percs.

I have a pair of true percs. Mine host the silicone caulking and occasionaly they host the koralia 2. But they wont go near the rockwork or any of the corals.

BristlewormKing
07/03/2007, 04:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10263845#post10263845 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sixspeed
What type of lighting do you have for your tank with the sebae? How difficult is it to keep that type of anemone? Are your water parameters pristine?

It is my smaller tank - 55g with 4 sets of Dual Daylight 10000°K/6700°K Daylight bulbs and 4 sets of Dual Actinic 460nm/420nm Actinic bulbs (pulled out of some old aquapod lids that were upgraded to MH). My water parameters in that tank are all zero, plus I add iodine once a week (I try to keep the iodine at .06) - 10% water change weekly also using Reef Crystals. There are two sebae anemones in that tank - feed them once a month, mostly they eat what they catch from the fish feedings. They have survived three years so far with my brand of TLC. I think the norm for that species in the home aquarium is 1-2 years.

Emg2
07/03/2007, 04:38 PM

My percs were getting cozy with the prolifera macro I had in the tank.......until I got a mushroom......the female happily left the macro in favor of the shroom.......

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/morroman/DSC09408900.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/morroman/DSC09411900.jpg

sixspeed
07/04/2007, 10:31 AM
anyone else with successful experiences? or is hosting just totally random?

rfields
07/04/2007, 04:14 PM
Dont have a pic but I have 2 true perc's that hosted in my BTA 15 minutes after I put it into my tank. I really wish they would have waited but everyone seems to be happy now.

Rod

Rod Buehler
07/05/2007, 05:33 AM
I raise true percs, and get follow-ups from many that tell me that their bubble tips were hosting right away.

Krazy
07/05/2007, 06:35 PM
I just got a pair of true percs today for my AP24.

I put a large pink hairy mushroom in there for them hopefully to host, I'm gonna yank a frogspawn from my 90 and put that in there as another choice for em :)

I see them hosting RBTA's alot, but I dont want one in the nano :P