PDA

View Full Version : Can there to be too much flow in Refuge??

Chago09
07/02/2007, 05:09 PM
If the main tank is 50 gallon and the sump is 20 gallons. Would 650gph be too much???

Like I know there is a suggestion of 3-5x turnover. Is that a rule??? like if its more then that will the refuge not work properly???

ludnix
07/02/2007, 05:16 PM
I wouldn't say that it won't work properly. It probably just isn't ideal.

ThomasinKind
07/02/2007, 05:18 PM
In reefkeeping you can be certain of only one type of answer and it almost always needs to start with "It depends... "

What do you plan to keep in your 'fuge? What type of flow (is it bouncing off the sides and creating random current(s) or is it just straight/linear flow)?

Chago09
07/02/2007, 05:18 PM
how you mean???

and would having more flow through your bulkheads make them louder as well??

Chago09
07/02/2007, 05:22 PM
well I was going to have just a simple flow straight through. I would have the water come down into the sump in a small section that will be just large enough for my skimmer and the two drain pipes from the display tank. Then it will waterfall into my glass bubble trap, which is made of three pieces of glass. Then after that it will be a large section which will be packed with live rock and chaeto. Then some eggcrate will be at the end to stop anything from getting caught in my pump. I don't want to make a seperate section for the pump because my sump is so small due to my stand space and I don't want to have such a small space that I need to top off every two hours.

Chago09
07/02/2007, 07:00 PM
I was planning on setting up tomorrow please help

aquarius77
07/02/2007, 08:11 PM
Too much flow through the sump / fuge can lead to micrpo bubble being pumped back up to the display.

ThomasinKind
07/02/2007, 09:16 PM
That much flow won't be a problem for the Cheato (it's best to keep this tumbling, which requires a decent amount of flow). As stated above you may have some "micro-bubble" issues. If you're looking for possible sump designs check out: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

If you're unsure, don't rush it. It's better to wait and then set it up properly rather than do it wrong and have to tear it down.

Chago09
07/02/2007, 09:26 PM
well aslong as I make a proper bubble trap I don't see why I would get micro bubbles???

cfarrow2
07/02/2007, 11:41 PM
I would recommend that you put the skimmer after the fuge part of the sump. I know you said you were limited on space but it makes more sense to skim after the fuge. Otherwise you're pulling nutrients away from your macro algae. Just a thought

NeveSSL
07/03/2007, 01:23 AM
But if you're skimming after the fuge, you're potentially defeating a lot of the purpose. At least I'd be defeating my main purpose, which is pods. Don't want a chance of skimming those after all of my work of getting them together. :)

Either way, the skimmer really only skims part of the water unless you plumb it inline with the return, of which most people don't do. IE, its not going to matter a ton, but I didn't want to skim pods.

Brandon

cloak
07/03/2007, 01:27 AM
I always thought the refuge meant slack in flow.

SuperNerd
07/03/2007, 01:31 AM
The bubbles can be dealt with using a number of different methods. "It depends" on which method you prefer. :lmao:

Chago09
07/03/2007, 07:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10262828#post10262828 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cloak
I always thought the refuge meant slack in flow.

yes I also thought it was supposed to run slowly

sjm817
07/03/2007, 07:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10261711#post10261711 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chago09
well aslong as I make a proper bubble trap I don't see why I would get micro bubbles???
Those O-U-O type bubbles traps do nothing to stop microbubbles. They can stop large bubbles, but microbubbles just ride right through.

xian
07/03/2007, 08:13 AM
As far as I knew a slow amount of flow through the refugium allows for more contact time wit the algae.

ThomasinKind
07/03/2007, 01:53 PM
There are various ways to keep a refugium. For example, if you were to keep Gracilaria you'd want high light and high flow. Chaeto is very adaptive and most people (IMO) don't have enough flow through their 'fuges. This opinion is based on where these macroalgaes are found in nature. In most cases, really high light and fairly rigorous flow. The other added benefit of higher flow is that it will (better) keep things/detritus in suspension (which tank inhabitants will take up and skimmers will eventually remove).