PDA

View Full Version : Missing Cleaner Shrimp

Therhusky
07/03/2007, 03:52 AM
So, I purchased a very small cleaner shrimp along with a six line wrasse and some corals about 3 days ago from my lfs. After acclimating them for about an hour i put everything in the tank, and everybody seemed fine, including the cleaner shrimp who was simply hanging out on a rock and not hiding. The next morning the cleaner shrimp was no where to be seen and I still have not seen him since. I've read that they can be shy for the first few days, but I have watched the tank for several hours for the past few days and have not seen him once.

Since I was concerned he was dead I just took moved all the rocks around and he was still no where to be found. So, I'm wondering if because of the cleaner shrimps small size, if the six line could have possibly eaten it, or if the shrimp just died and got eaten by scavengers, or if theres a possibility he is still in the tank hiding inside of a rock or something. I hope I didn't just waste 20 bucks to have a shrimp for a few hours. :(

Scoobs9083
07/03/2007, 04:32 AM
Look at this page under the Feeding:

http://www.nano-reef.com/fish/?fish=3

turnburn
07/03/2007, 04:33 AM
I've owned several cleaner shrimp and to be honest, none were ever shy. Could he have gotten out of the tank somehow?

Therhusky
07/03/2007, 04:54 AM
The only place he could have gotten out of the tank was out of the off the back, and I already checked behind the tank. The sixline and the cleaner were being kept in the same tank and the store, but since the shrimp was so small maybe it still could have gotten eaten.Hopefully it miraculously shows up in the tank somewhere...but I have a feeling it was eaten by the sixline, or scavanged...

plawrence5
07/03/2007, 06:24 AM
Well if it is any help, my buddy had a cleaner shrimp in his tank that dissapeared for a week once.. we didn't move any rock around but we couldn't find him anywhere and were convinced he died. He wouldn't even come out if you dropped some flake in the water (which I may recommend to you). Eventually he showed up again. Don't know where he was or what he was doing.