PDA

View Full Version : My elegance (pics)

cristhiam
07/03/2007, 12:12 PM
So far everything is going great with this one.
When I got it (April 07)
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinatas/elegance.jpg

May
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinatas/elegance5171.jpg

June it's getting pretty big
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cbucheli/125/elegance.jpg

lvreefer
07/03/2007, 12:27 PM
Very nice. Do you believe your success is partly due to your low wattage lighting?

cristhiam
07/03/2007, 12:42 PM
It's possible it's on the lowest flow and low light part of the tank, sometimes is very sticky and some times is not (at feeding). I wouldn't call too low of a wattage just no MH :) My bulbs are 48" long so the light concentraion is in the middle, also the lights are 4 6500K 40W bulbs and 2 110W URI superactinics run with two IceCaps 660s Full view so you get an idea of where is placed (far right bottom)
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cbucheli/125/tank.jpg

elegance coral
07/03/2007, 04:55 PM
Sweet! Good job man. He'll probably get stickier as time goes on. Hopefully we'll start seeing more and more threads like this popping up.

cristhiam
07/03/2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks. What I've noticed on this specimen is that when I feed it sometimes is very sticky and grabs the food tight and closes up, and other times (same food) it will just flows around it without grabbing it. It seems that it gets sticky every 2 to 2 1/2 weeks or so. I tried one before like 2+ years ago and did not make it, it fell apart within 2 weeks. I love this one.

elegance coral
07/03/2007, 05:45 PM
If you wiggle/vibrate the food in it's tentacles a little bit it may cause him to sting the food more and hold on to it tighter. This is how I get my hard to feed Elegance corals to start eating.

cristhiam
07/08/2007, 02:15 PM
Hey guys, what are you guys keeping your parameters at?
I adjusted mine from Alk 8.4 to 10 DKH, Cal from 400 to 420 and MG from 1100 to 1300 and now my elegance it's been shrunk for a couple of days any ideas PH at 8.2 - 8.3 nitrates at .5 not sure what's going on. Everything else is fine.

sailfish2
07/09/2007, 08:41 AM
IMHO and i very far from an expert but mine does not like alk changes at all so i would say its alk change from8 to 10 not that 10 is bad just the change. Did you do it all ay once or over a few days. Mine lets me know if something’s up with my tank. Mine does not like if I add to much of anything but he is ok in a few mins accept for a large alk fluctuation i had.

good luck

cristhiam
07/09/2007, 09:23 AM
That's what I thought alk, I did adjust all at one shot, only the eleance is showing stress, maybe I'll just try to keep it at 8 DKH and calc at 400.

elegance coral
07/09/2007, 09:42 AM
I agree with sailfish2. Elegance corals do not like change. When we start changing things in the aquarium they will most likely be the first one to show their disapproval. If any change takes place in the tank the Elegance will let you know. Nitrates or phosphates start to climb and your Elegance will start to withdraw.
Do you know if your coral is an Aussie or Indo?

cristhiam
07/09/2007, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll do smaller changes and keep it in the lower side I think, the LFS was not able to tell me where this one was from. Nitrates are at .5 (salifert) phosphase not so sure but it's reading 0, but I don't have HA and I have cheato in the sump.

Serioussnaps
07/09/2007, 10:33 AM
FWIW 8 DKH is much closer to NSW than is 10....you were fine where you were at! Good looking elegance. I am following the elegance keeping closely and I am getting very tempted...my tank is too high flow/high light for one so I am building a new tank.

elegance coral
07/10/2007, 06:26 AM
If your LFS can't tell you where it came from it is most likely an Indo Pacific Elegance. The Aussie Elegance corals are about $140 also. Is the coral still withdrawing?

cristhiam
07/10/2007, 08:53 AM
Hi, the coral started to look better yesterday, not fully extended but a lot better, I'll check tonight when I get home and post again. I only pay 30 :)

cristhiam
08/12/2007, 04:46 PM
Got a picture today, the coral is doing great so far but I found this things on it today, it's the only coral that has them. I thought it was part of it but they move! flatworms? I'm getting ready to remove them.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinatas/ele2.jpg
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinatas/ele1.jpg

Tyler.L
08/12/2007, 06:00 PM
from bad to worse, good luck getting them off

elegance coral
08/12/2007, 07:06 PM
Holly crap. At first I thought that was coraline growing on the glass. The good thing is that your elegance doesn't seem to care if they are there. I have never had flat worms so I hope someone can chime in here and lend a hand if you need it.

Good job with the Elegance. It's looking very good. Beautiful coral.

kramgnik
08/12/2007, 07:23 PM
I have had them on several elegance corals. They do not seem to bother the animal until their population increases so much that they block light from the animal. I removed them with a syringe trying not to suck up the coral in the process.

Good luck,
Mark

cristhiam
08/12/2007, 07:52 PM
I removed a few with the turkey baster but the coral shrinks, they do die intantly in fresh water :), I just keep removing them every time I get a change, is there anything that will eat them, I see them only on the elegance.

Serioussnaps
08/12/2007, 09:53 PM
Six line wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, all kinds of wrasses

mandarins

cristhiam
08/12/2007, 10:12 PM
Thank you, I just removed some more, like 30+ they were on my fox coral that it was right next to the elegance. I might try a wrase but not sure if my purple pousedo cromis will accept it.

CableGuy
08/13/2007, 11:55 AM
I had a plate coral that was covered in the same flatworms, it was only the plate coral that was infected. There were no flatworms anywhere else in the tank. I dipped the coral in Flat Worm Exit and they all came off. It worked for me.

Colby

cristhiam
08/15/2007, 11:22 AM
Hi, I'm getting the FWE today, I don't think I'll treat the whole system for now I don't see them in any other LPS's or LR, just going to dip the elegance and the fox, the fox seems to have the most, it's almost impossible to remove them, any concers about dipping these corals? I hate to do this to the elegance, 4 months and it's going strong. Thanks guys

elegance coral
08/15/2007, 06:04 PM
Your Elegance is very healthy. As long as you fallow the directions you shouldn't have any problems. A healthy Elegance is much tougher than people give them credit for. Good luck.

cristhiam
08/23/2007, 05:18 PM
Hi guys, I did the dip a week ago and a bunch of flat worms came off, both corals are doing great. Today I just found some more on some zoas and mushrooms these are in the main rock impossible to remove them, what would you guys do, treat with FWE the whole tank or get a wrasse.

My only concern is that when I dipped the corals I saw some mini brittle stars dead on the bottom of the container, not sure if they were dead or the FWE killed them. I kind of OD in the container 4 drops in 1 gallon of water, not sure if this did it.

jman77
08/23/2007, 07:53 PM
I've seen them on my eleg, and it's doing fine. I wouldn't be too worried since your coral is still expanding. If you are really worried get a mandarin. People get too freaked out over flatworms when you should chill and observe to see if it's one of the few bad species of FW's

BTW, the FW came with the Elegance as i didn't have any in that tank before putting it in.

cristhiam
08/23/2007, 08:20 PM
I think the FW came with mine too, I've seen a tank with FW gone bad, all over the place in a LFS, that's why I'm kind of concern about them.

jman77
08/23/2007, 08:34 PM
You might have a FW "bloom" but they should diminish. in time

Why don't you get a Mandarin pair... that should help to control the FW's in the tank

cristhiam
08/23/2007, 09:26 PM
I might try the mandarin or a wrasse, the only problem is all my fish have been together for almost 2 years and not sure how my purple pseudo cromis will take the new arrival, my LFS has a cori wrasse that it's beautiful but the shape of this fish is almost the same as the purple fish and might not be too good. I guess I can try and see

cristhiam
11/25/2007, 07:39 PM
Update:
After my nitrates reaching 100ppm a few acros melt down and FWE the elegance seems to be doing fine. I've been having hard time getting my tank under control.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinatas/elegance1.jpg

And is this some kind of reproduction? I see new tenticles coming out of this area.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinatas/elegance2.jpg

MetalReef9
11/27/2007, 01:22 PM
nice...

cristhiam
04/06/2008, 10:04 PM
11 months!! so far still doing great.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh94/cristhiam_2008/March%2008/horton009.jpg

HookedOnReefing
04/21/2008, 11:24 AM
Great job on keeping the Elegance happy.

Which one is this? The Indo or Aussie variety?

cristhiam
04/21/2008, 06:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12377946#post12377946 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HookedOnReefing
Great job on keeping the Elegance happy.

Which one is this? The Indo or Aussie variety?

Thank you, I have not idea where that coral came from.