PDA

View Full Version : lighting decision

reefworm
07/03/2007, 12:42 PM
OK, looks like I've narrowed it down to the Aquamedic 24" hanging hood fixture from P.A. 1 250w 10K MH + 2 24w actinic T5s. [this for a 29gal 18in. deep] Any input on this setup and/or aquamedic's quality? Related questions:
how far above the water should it hang?
the tank top will be open, so how concerned should I be with jumpers? At this point I'm planning on an ocellaris or percula and gramma loreto and perhaps a blenny. any species I should avoid as potential leapers? and/or advice about covers.

many thanks! :D

socalreefer73
07/03/2007, 01:09 PM
Gobies tend to be jumpers... I think firefish are jumpers too...

Justin James
07/03/2007, 01:16 PM
You should really consider a Luminarc lll mini stealth DE pendent. It looks sharp and gives much more light and coverage than any other reflector. I have 2 of them lighting a 6' foot tank and I have the whole tank lit up by only two 250 watt DE bulbs with no dark spots.

http://www.lumenarclighting.com/proddetail.asp?prod=LA3-Stealth-DE

mleinart
07/03/2007, 01:17 PM
As far as jumpers, I've had both a scooter blenny (which surprised me since it always hung out on the bottom) and a firefish goby jump. Both were caught by the cats before I could save them.
I wouldn't worry about the ocellaris, especially if it's hosted with an anemone. One of mine is so attached to his anemone I pulled him out of the tank when removing the anemone during a tank move.