PDA

View Full Version : Tight Bulkhead Fittings

bdickens
07/03/2007, 08:02 PM
I am plumbing a tank that has a very restricted amount of space around it. No matter where I put the return and inlet, I've got minimal clearance.

Does anyone know of a source for a very tight turn fitting ? I see a lot of folks just using PVC Elbows and silicone, but I would rather do it right.

Thoughts ?

dhogan
07/03/2007, 08:09 PM
You may want to try some uniseals, I've heard good things about them: http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/8600/cid/2009

Kentanner11
07/03/2007, 08:22 PM
IMO I would not use a uni-seal on a tank. Just because of the pressure.

You dont really need alot of clearance, just about 1cm. behind the bulkhead. I assume your talking about outside of the tank. I dont see whats wrong with using elbows?

bdickens
07/04/2007, 08:48 AM
I have about 1 1/2 inch clearance from the side of the tank to the walls on 3 sides (obviously the front is bigger) so the bulkheads have to fit in that space and allow an elbow.

I am modestly worried about the junction between the PVC elbow and the acrylic. I figure a bulkhead is a bit more reliable, but there is very low pressure, so I may be alright with silicone or the uniseal. I'm not sure how the Weld-on acrylic seals PVC or PVC Cement seals Acrylic.

I'll look into the uniseal as well.

rsw686
07/04/2007, 09:08 AM
I don't understand. You can get slip or threaded bulkheads. Since you don't have much room get the slip bulkhead. Put it in place and glue a small PVC pipe and elbow in place with PVC cement. The bulkheads use a rubber gasket. You don't need any weld on or silicon.