PDA

View Full Version : lawnmower blenny won't eat

kirans
07/03/2007, 08:36 PM
I have what I think to be a juvenile lawnmower blenny (about 2.5 inches). He's getting rather skinny and won't except any of the food I put in the tank. I see him munching on algae growing on the glass but I don't think he's getting enough sustenance.

Any suggestions on how to get him to eat other foods?

thanks!
-Kiran

mr. clown man
07/03/2007, 09:20 PM
mine dosent eat anything i put into my tank either, is there much algae growth in your tank, if not put green algae sheets in your tank and hang them on a veggie clip

carnavor
07/03/2007, 09:57 PM
mine eats frozen meats, but also eats seaweek on clip,<<< sounds good to me.

Silverfin
07/03/2007, 10:50 PM
They are algea grazers. We have two in both the our nano and showtank that are a little bloated because they eat the algea we have in the tank. The also like seaweed as carnavor said......

----------
I am my Father's Daughter.....reef wise...

oct2274
07/04/2007, 12:03 AM
mine eats everything i put in the tank. It wouldn't at first, then i bought some Tetra MicroCrabs which are just cyclop-eeze granules. He pretty much was instantly was attracted to them, i have no idea why. After he started eating those he just started trying everything that i threw in. Now he is at the top of the tank waiting everytime he sees me.

kevin2000
07/05/2007, 09:41 AM
You might consider some live brine shrimp.

kirans
07/05/2007, 12:08 PM
thanks for all the info guys! Yeah, he eats the filamentous algae off the glass and there is a lot of it for him to eat but he still is very thin.

He gets a bullied by a bristle tooth tang I have which might be one of his problems but I was wondering if anyone new of any other foods that this guy might take a liking to. I'll definately try the algae with clip and live brine though!

Aquarist007
07/05/2007, 12:27 PM
feed the tang first and the others----then feed the lawn b. while the others are distracted.

nava405
07/05/2007, 03:11 PM
my eats bloodworm, also you can try to rubber band nori on a piece of rock , usually they like it more than clip on the glass.

Aquarist007
07/06/2007, 07:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10278917#post10278917 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nava405
my eats bloodworm, also you can try to rubber band nori on a piece of rock , usually they like it more than clip on the glass.

I was told that blood worm is basically a fresh water food and has very little nutritional value for salt water?
I am asking here, not stating a fact--but of course we believe every thing we are told esp from a vendor:D

(I used to feed blood worm to my sun corals because they could get a good grip on them and wouldn't be snatched up by the other fish like mysis sometimes.)

lpm141
07/16/2007, 01:24 PM
I lost mine! I beleive it just starved to death. It really would not accept anything I added in the tank and I tried alot of things. I have read a lot on them and the jury seems that 50% they don't make it and the other half have luck with them.