PDA

View Full Version : How do you "rinse" frozen food?

NeveSSL
07/04/2007, 05:04 PM
I suspect my frozen food may be contributing to my algae a little bit since lighting my chaeto doesn't seem to help much. :)

How do you rinse it off? Do you just thaw it out, strain the food from that water and get fresh tank water to put it in the tank, so to speak?

Thanks!

Brandon

coast2coast7390
07/04/2007, 05:07 PM
i would defrost in some tank water placed in a cup and then strain it in a net and "rinse" the net in the tank

kau_cinta_ku
07/04/2007, 05:08 PM
i used to rinse mine through a brine shrimp net under warm rodi water but became to much of a hassle so now i don't rinse lol

NeveSSL
07/04/2007, 05:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10273459#post10273459 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coast2coast7390
i would defrost in some tank water placed in a cup and then strain it in a net and "rinse" the net in the tank

Ahh! That sounds like a good idea. Then maybe I won't have as much of it floating and not eaten! For some reason, my percs generally won't eat off of the top... heh.

kau_cinta_ku: I don't have an ro/di just yet, but I may give that a shot when I get one. :)

I know that may also contribute to the algae. So far its not been too bad, though.

Thanks!

Brandon

BWine
07/04/2007, 05:42 PM
I used to rinse my food but it was a pain. So I stopped rinsing it. So far it hasn't caused any problems.

bertoni
07/04/2007, 06:12 PM
I don't rinse most food since I worry about losing nutrients. Rinsing whole prey items, like brine shrimp or mysid, might make some sense, although I don't bother. For an algal problem, less food total might be a good approach.

NeveSSL
07/04/2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks for all the tips.

I think truly my tank is just going through the normal cycles. I'm only feeding about a cube a week of mega marine for two clowns, about 6 hermits and a cleaner shrimp. :)

Brandon