PDA

View Full Version : Gorrilla Crab Help

khrios
07/04/2007, 10:20 PM
I have what I think is a gorrilla crab in my tank and it is terrorizing my corals and knocking things over. It is huge (a few inches across) and I'm not sure how to trap it. I have tried sticking a skewer in at it, but it has already broken one, and lets go of others when I pull. I also tried tipping a glass against the LR with some mysis in it, but the fish just ate everying. Anyone know anything that would work? Is there a trap that I could make to catch it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Jon

reefnetworth
07/05/2007, 01:28 AM
a med to lg fish trap might work. www.marinedepot.com www.liveaquaria.com www.premiumaquatics.com one of them should have them in stock! good luck :)
JDM :smokin:

northbay-reefer
07/05/2007, 09:05 AM
What you want to do is use the same skewer, but put a piece of food on there, start hand feeding him until he is used to it, eventually you will be able to bring him out of hiding.

make a mini version dog catcher pole like this one http://www.ketch-all.com/index.php?p=acp&n=1 and use it to grap his pincher when he reaches for the food.

khrios
07/05/2007, 01:26 PM
I have a fish trap that is big enough, but it is just a pain to wait until after lights out for him to come out. I will try laying down some netting and putting food on a skewer to lure him out onto it. I think he is too fast for a dog catcher pole.

northbay-reefer
07/05/2007, 03:03 PM
khrios, I used one of those b4 and believe it or not it works :D if you have the bait inside that loop, when the crab use his claw to get the bait, pull the loop close and voila :D

jwisson
07/09/2007, 03:33 PM
if you catch it let me know i have a mantis shimp that would love to beat on its head for a while.