PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Crab Molt?

Midus
07/05/2007, 06:08 AM
I just found what I hope isn't my Emerald Crab sitting rigid on the underside of a piece of LR. I thought it kind of odd that he had been in the same place for awhile, but I figured that he'd move around again once it got darker. Morning came and he was still in the same exact position. Netted it and took it out. How can I tell if its the molt or the crab itself without getting too dirty(Kinda squamish about cutting it open...). While handling it, the bottom flap came open and I nearly hurled(It was meaty inside too which has me worried that he may have kicked it).

Anyone have any pics of an Emerald Crab molt(Preferably the bottom) or advice?

jaymz101
07/05/2007, 05:25 PM
Have you ever had peel and eat shrimp? Same idea. If the shell is empty its a molt, if not you've got a dead crab. Molts are usually slightly translucent too.

Midus
07/06/2007, 09:28 AM
Cut it open(Stunk up my whole room....). Nothing but shell. I still can't figure out how it got out and left everything seemingly intact. Thanks.

J. Montgomery
07/06/2007, 10:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10283761#post10283761 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Midus
Cut it open(Stunk up my whole room....). Nothing but shell. I still can't figure out how it got out and left everything seemingly intact. Thanks.
Thats what they all (crabs, shrimp, etc) do. The back of the shell cracks open and they squeeze out. The new shell is flexible and soft (i.e. soft-shelled crabs at restaurant) allowing them to squeeze through the crack. After a few hours/days the new shell hardens; during which time they usually hide to avoid predation in their vulnerable condition.