PDA

View Full Version : Flame Angel - yes or no?

BreefMe
07/05/2007, 10:55 AM
There is probably a thread on this somewhere, but I just want opinions. As my tank gets more established down the road I was considering one of these. They are simply, incredibly beautiful. I have done a lot of reading on them. Some they they are fine. I even see pics of some in big reef tanks with loads of LPS and SPS and the owners say the do not bother their coral stock. Others say they have problems with them. Some say they do not do very well in captivity.

Does anyone have an opinion on them?

http://www.aquahobby.com/marine/img/Centropyge_loricula_2.jpg

samherston
07/05/2007, 11:06 AM
I have had them in reef tanks before and have had no problems with them at all... I think that its a 50/50 shot, but I dont think that you will have any problems with having one in the system!~

BreefMe
07/05/2007, 11:15 AM
Yes, I will only try one.

AquaReeferMan
07/05/2007, 11:16 AM
Mine has been a model citizen. Ive had it for about 7 months now. Mine is in a mixed reef with a heavy zoanthid population. I feed twice a day. Mine never picks at anything but the rock. It took me about 6 months of doing what your doing before I got one. Im glad I did. Very awesome fish.

BreefMe
07/05/2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks, I will be sure to give at least 1 a try when the time is right. 180 gals. should be enough to keep it happy - yes?

AquaReeferMan
07/05/2007, 01:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10277840#post10277840 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BreefMe
180 gals. should be enough to keep it happy - yes?

Definitely enough room. Thats even enough room for a Pair. Flame angels are hermaphrodites. You can get 2 small ones and add them into the tank together. Down the line you will end up having a male and a female. Just an option. I would have done that If I knew that bit of information in the beginning.

samsfishnchips
07/05/2007, 01:30 PM
no don't do it :D

sam

Peter Eichler
07/05/2007, 01:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10277840#post10277840 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BreefMe
Thanks, I will be sure to give at least 1 a try when the time is right. 180 gals. should be enough to keep it happy - yes?

Plenty of room, will also be lots of fun to try and catch him when he decides your corals are delicious :p

BreefMe
07/05/2007, 02:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10278075#post10278075 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaReeferMan
Definitely enough room. Thats even enough room for a Pair. Flame angels are hermaphrodites. You can get 2 small ones and add them into the tank together. Down the line you will end up having a male and a female. Just an option. I would have done that If I knew that bit of information in the beginning.

Maybe that's why they are called Flame Angels.:lol:

frederickk
07/07/2007, 07:01 AM
I would do it with one.

reefworm
07/07/2007, 07:20 AM
I know dwarf angels are beautiful fish - my favorites in fact for movement and color. But with the rebuild I'm resisting the temptation. I LOVE coral beauties, but I love my corals more. IMO it's just not worth the chance. Any anecdotal information you get on any dwarf angels behaving in a reef is just that - a one-case induction. No one specimen's behavior can speak for the species - especially when nipping polyps is natural behavior in the wild. My CB was a model citizen for months [6+] then started nipping - doing in the open brain before I could get the fish out.

I think your tanks have enough room - some would say just - since mine did fine in a 29 gal. for a few years. I'd just hate to see you lose livestock and go through the real hassle of trying to capture an errant flame angel or other type if it started harming your reef.

Remember, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. ;)

-rw