PDA

View Full Version : disappearing shrimp

Marsha
07/05/2007, 11:44 AM
Ok I bought a Fire Shrimp. It took 3 days for it to disappear and I have not seen it in 2 weeks. So I decided to rearrange/ re aquascape and look for him. Everything has been out of the tank and no signs.... not even a claw. I have tried baiting for a mantis shrimp but no luck. I think maybe I do not need to be a reefer .... this tank is eating things and I have no idea why.

rhino509
07/05/2007, 12:05 PM
im not 100 percent sure about this type,but some shrimps are nocturnal,i stuck a couple in my sump to help with aiptasia and just keepin it clean and i havent seen them since 5 minutes after i put them in it.

mildew
07/05/2007, 01:01 PM
If you're prepared to give up reefing because of the disappearance of one little shrimp, you weren't very committed at the beginning. We've all lost lots of stuff, and nothing you've paid for is an easy loss. Just hang in there and keep on buying. Some of it will survive and some of it won't. Months ago I tossed 3 peppermint shrimp into my tank and 5 minutes later was the last I saw of them. I chalked it up to the CBS, which I knew was a predator on other shrimp. I just hoped I had enough hiding places. Much to my surprise one of them showed up last night, and a lot bigger than when I put it in the tank about 6 months ago. The other 2? Who knows? Half my fun is looking for things in my tank with a flash light at night when the lights are off. Heck, I gave away one of the 3 mini carpet anemones that I'd bought that was hiding in some anthelia that I was giving away and anxious to be rid of. The guy didn't even offer to give it back. I kind of wish he'd kept his mouth shut.

camocustom
07/05/2007, 01:01 PM
Fire shrimp are very good hiders.....hes probably in there...did you check around the tank, make sure he did jump out...?

Marsha
07/05/2007, 02:42 PM
Well, I took out every rock and checked each individually but there are a few holes in them (only a few LOL) and lots of places to hide. I am not giving up but have had a few incidents since starting out in March. Lost a few fish, one to velvet after which the rest of my fish have been in QT with copper treatment and will be going back into the main tank in 2 weeks.

I was told that if I wanted to see the shrimp, turn off the 10k lights and just use actinics for about 30 minutes he would come out, but no luck. LFS says that if there is a pistol shrimp in there and if he went into his burrow, he was a snack. I do not have a pistol shrimp that I know of. BTW the floor was checked for carpet surfers.

I have not given up just was feeling a little defeated. My 3 PJ cardnals, 2 perculas and watchman gobi would not like it if I just walked away now. They have put up with a lot waiting to get back into the main tank and enjoy the room in there.

YoitsArson
07/05/2007, 04:52 PM
Dont feel bad I got a cleaner shrimp and didnt see him for a few weeks. I thought he was just hideing out until I saw my cat swating inside the tank, I put 2 and 2 together and figured my cat caught himself a dinner.

marybeth1975
07/06/2007, 03:51 PM
Same here. I have two peppermint shrimp (at least I think I do) LOL and they are "gone" all the time. Every now and then one will pop out and let me know he's still alive. I found that when I would turn on my lights in the morning they would be out but would quickly hide again.

randallcentral
07/06/2007, 04:11 PM
I just lost my peppermint shrimp in the tank aswell... anothery unsolved mystery.

jon99
07/06/2007, 04:17 PM
Fire shrimp are very reclusive. I had one (until my brittle star ate it) and I hardly ever saw it. Maybe try a skunk cleaner shrimp next time. THey usually stay out in the open and have a ton of character. Also keep an eye out when you're feeding your fish. About the only time I saw mine was when he smelled food and came scurrying out to grab some.

spinninmidwater
07/06/2007, 04:36 PM
yeah, altho fire shrimps are reclusive, i have a pair, they still can't resist the temptation of food. they are very shy and hide in holes and crevice most of the time but whenever they smell food, they come out from nowhere and even come to my hand to get the food at times

however, i too have the same mystery, my fish kept disappearing, 2 dartfish and 1 sand sifting goby, they just disappeared since a few months and never saw them again

why

tdchicago
07/06/2007, 05:13 PM
i put in a peppermint to help with aiptasia.

Never saw him again.

I find that funny actually wondering if he is in there and MUCH smarter than me.

kuoka
07/06/2007, 05:24 PM
I have two M.I.A. as well. But I've noticed a decrease in aptaisia and I saw one poke his head out of a piece of rock the other day. I'm sure your shrimp are fine and doing their job. :)

marybeth1975
07/07/2007, 07:38 PM
Sometimes the only time I know they are still in there is when I see their "skin" stuck on one of my rocks when they've "molte"? LOL Don't know if that is the right word or not.