PDA

View Full Version : Blacktips

Heterodonut
07/05/2007, 04:27 PM
Anybody know of pet shops (on the East Coast) that have blacktip reef sharks for sale?

TheSaltwaterGuy
07/05/2007, 06:43 PM
What size tank will it be going in?

justinl
07/05/2007, 07:40 PM
lol we've adopted a sort of screening for people who ask about actively swimming sharks like blacktips. basically, dont give any info on them until the OP (you) gives us a lil info on the setup (notably the volume). from there we'll either be critical, give a thumbs up, or start flaming each other.

so +1 on a lil more info.

one lfs has a 2200 gal (2000 of actual swimming room) with a large tess moray, a 3' wobbegong, 2 X 2.5' blacktips, and 2 X 4' white tips. needless to say I FLIPPED on them and have never gone back since.

Heterodonut
07/06/2007, 09:19 AM
I didn't say it was going anywhere. I'm not currently in the market to get a BT reef. And if I were it would not be going in a tank, it would be going in a 20 X 10 oval 4 feet deep. For those that think only the ocean is big enough, you need not reply. I'm interested in knowing if pet shops on the East coast actually "STOCK" black tip reefs. Please don't reply and say my lfs can special order you one. I could get one sent to me for under a grand from the west coast IF I were looking to buy one. What I would like to know is "hey my lfs has one at 20 inches and they want X grand for it". For those of you that can actually read AND answer a question, I appreciate your input. Thanks

Heterodonut
07/06/2007, 11:17 AM
BTW I'm not interested in flaming anybody or being flamed. I know that people want to try and help people before thay put a banded shark pup into their 29, or try to keep them from getting a smoothound for their 220. I am trying to use this board for what it is intended for (I think) sharing information. If I were looking to buy a BT reef pup I would have posted a WTB in another forum. I'm trying to get some information without calling up 250 different pet shops on the East Coast. I figured maybe the people that have agressive tanks and that use this forum may have seen sharks for sale at their lfs, and be willing to take the time to post. I know a few stores that "Have" BT reefs for show, and I know several will special order them for people, but I'm trying to find out if any store would go so far as to asking stock one for sale.

krj-1168
07/08/2007, 07:20 PM
it would be going in a 20 X 10 oval 4 feet deep.

Isn't that the pond with your exotic Bullheads? If so are you planning to put them in a different pond.

But the pond would work for keeping a Blacktip reef - until it reachs maturity at about 3-3.5ft. After that time you will need a larger pond - say around 20,000 gallons or more.

Will I don't know of many LFS in that will carry Blacktip reefs on a regular basis. I sure that that many of the larger LFS would be willing to special order one for you. I would ready recommend checking first with the larger ones in you area. Or just search for East Coast online shark dealers that may get in Blacktip Reefs(most tend to be in Florida).

AquaKnight
07/08/2007, 08:07 PM
Big Al's in South Florida has a few BT's in their show tank, 5000gal oval.

http://xs217.xs.to/xs217/07281/sharktang.JPG

To actually buy them, http://jawz.net might be able too.

Tyler.L
07/09/2007, 04:32 PM
as the dude said....hes looking for soemthing that STOCKS THEM. not special orders them in, if they regularily stock them...and once again not a show tank...i understand where this guy is coming from hes asking questions about it being stocked on the east coast...not that he'll have to upgrade and blah blah blah....

Heterodonut
07/09/2007, 05:26 PM
Tyler, has it right, I'm not looking to buy a BT reef, at least not this year or any time in the future, I guess I should have written that as a pre-amble to my question. KRJ, yeah if someone were to GIVE me a BT reef shark now, I have to put it in my 3,000 gallon lagoon as it is the biggest I've got at the moment, and would most likely leave the Bullheads in there, as I've seen others keep the two togeter. Aquanight, thanks for the pic and info, but again I'm not looking for pet shops that have them for show, but wanted to know in any stores actually carry big ticket specialty items regularly. And KRJ, I'm in the planning stages of my NEW lagoon, and it's looking like it will be 60 X 20 or 20,000 gallons, and at that point I may be flying in a trio of Blacktip reefs from L.A., but none of that has anything to do with my original question.

AquaKnight
07/09/2007, 05:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10305713#post10305713 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Heterodonut
Aquanight, thanks for the pic and info, but again I'm not looking for pet shops that have them for show, but wanted to know in any stores actually carry big ticket specialty items regularly.
http://jawz.net I believe does. They do a bunch of commercial stuff, bars/clubs etc, usually with a shark or two. I would definitely give them a call.

krj-1168
07/14/2007, 12:00 AM
A 20,000 gallon lagoon for Blacktip reefs sounds pretty cool. :cool: :D

BTW - Aquaknight - a 5,000 gallons round display tank with blcktip reef pups may make for a eye-catching display. But it also gives off the LFS the wrong type of impression. As in they maybe big & flashy - but their not very knowledgeable or interested in treating their fish ethically.

Bret61081
07/14/2007, 11:34 AM
Look up Atlantis Aquarium in Miami as well...they had 2 for sale the last time I was there. Also I am friends with a LFS owner and I know of atleast one local wholesaler that has them regularly....when you are ready, just ask.

blacktip0000
07/14/2007, 04:31 PM
hoang long aquarium has them for sale they were about 30in they had two of them when i was there if you want their number pm me they have one of the cheapest prices i have seen on one it cost 800 for one