PDA

View Full Version : can someone explain to me auto topoffs?

jacksonpt
07/05/2007, 06:15 PM
I've got to think it can be a pretty simple setup - a bucket of water on the floor next to the tank, a small pump, a line running from the pump to the tank. What I don't understand is how the pump knows when to turn on and off based on the water level in the tank.

Any simple/reliable DIY plans out there? I'm sure there are, but I'm on dialup at home so searching is a pretty painful process.

Piazzon12
07/05/2007, 07:46 PM
float switches power the pump (or aqualifter)
see here:
http://www.melevsreef.com/plumbing/auto_topoff.html

jacksonpt
07/05/2007, 07:57 PM
Cool, thanks. That's very helpful.

Does anyone locally sell electric float valves?

Piazzon12
07/05/2007, 08:49 PM
Not that anyone's been able to find... I got mine from aquahub

nwrogers
07/05/2007, 08:56 PM
http://www.aquahub.com/store/diygaquarium.html

jacksonpt
07/20/2007, 01:44 PM
Is anyone using the kit from aquahub? I can't for the life of me get it to work... I'm guessing it's something with the relay socket, but I'm not good enough with electric to know what's happening or not happening.

All I know is that if I set everything up as the aquahub instructions show, it doesn't work. If I take the 2 leads from the extension cord and twist them together (thus, bypassing the relay socket) it does work. I'm not sure if the socket is bad or what, but the problem seems to be with the socket.

nwrogers
07/20/2007, 02:32 PM
Sounds like you got a bad one. I don't know much about them but it should just be a simple switch right? Either it completes the circuit or breaks it. Sounds like it is just not able to complete the circuit. Bummer...

jacksonpt
07/20/2007, 02:54 PM
That's my thought, but I don't have enough electrical experience to say that for sure. I'm going to call them and see what they have to say.

jacksonpt
07/26/2007, 12:30 PM
OK, one last question...

Due to the problems I was having getting all this hooked up, I decided to go the simple route. I cut the extension cord (one wire, left the other alone) and spliced in the float switch. No relay, no socket, no transformer, just the float switch, extension cord, and pump.

The extension cord is a typical household cord, 10-12g wire (I'm guessing). The float switch wiring is VERY thin. Because I have them wired together, do I need to worry about anything melting? The pump never runs for more than a few seconds.

Thanks.

Piazzon12
07/26/2007, 01:06 PM
I think the only think you have to worry about is make sure the float switch current ratinging is higher than the pump. You are definately fine with the aqualifter(what I use) and probably most powerheads