PDA

View Full Version : cycle algae?

powerhousepratt
07/05/2007, 06:59 PM
hey guys i restarted my reef tank and i am getting that brown algae on my sand bed, i believe it is called diatoms? is this normal of a new tank. and is the only cure for it time to cycle it out? my tank is two months old and i use filter water for top off. filtration is a wetdry a 10 gal fuge and a superskimmer 65 on my 55 gal tank. any help is appreciated.

frederickk
07/07/2007, 08:02 AM
It's called cyano and yes it is quite normal for a new tank. Like you said there nothing else to do but wait until the cycle is fully completed.

Don't do anything before your numbers are all good. Nitrites, nitratres, alk.

SaltyDr
07/07/2007, 11:56 AM
If it's a brown color than it's most likely diatoms. All new tanks have an initial diatom bloom. If it's a reddish purple than most like cyano. If you see air bubbles then it's definitely cyano. Cyano can be normal in a new tank, but I'd make sure your nitrate and phos are 0. May want to up the flow are move things around a bit to increase the flow if you can. Your phos may read 0 but it still can be in the tank. Run some phospban or the like - should help.

powerhousepratt
07/09/2007, 01:04 PM
no air bubbles, its just brown on my sand bed but it seems to be going away already. my readings read zero for trate, trite, Amm, and undetectable for phos. im going with it being the regular cycle bloom.

on3ofak1nd
07/09/2007, 01:56 PM
Normal diatom bloom... if it is already going away then you're very lucky!