PDA

View Full Version : Can I use two level sensors to make a top-off?

bbrantley
07/05/2007, 11:21 PM
Hi again,

What I'm looking to wire up is not a traditional top-off, but rather a reservoir that refills itself with fresh RODI water only when it is drained. I can imagine doing this by placing one level sensor, sensor A, at the top of the reservoir, and a second sensor B down towards the bottom. Then, if sensor B is LOW, I would to trigger a program to turn on my RODI system.

However, the catch is that I would like to keep the RODI system on until sensor A goes HIGH. The water will fill past sensor B, sending it HIGH, but I wish it to keep filling until it gets to A.

Is it possible to write a program or combination of programs to do this in the AQ? I don't have enough information from the documentation about how programs interact with each other, how they take priority over each other, and so on. But I bet someone has done this, or at least tried to do it and failed.

Help? :)

Thanks,

Ben

dandydan
07/07/2007, 05:17 PM
Have a play in the XY I think that will do it but have not tried it myself in that context. If I remember XY will take up to 3 sensors and use basic logic to decide what to do.
Luck

bourbon
07/08/2007, 01:06 PM
the problem with this is that if the top sensor gets knocked or something you're screwed - until you get water leakage sensors and then you can have them shut off in emergency. What I do - and found it be safer is, I have a rummermaid container which is filled with rodi water. I have a float level that is supposed to shut off ro when full, but it doesn't work and had leaks. So what I do is periodically open ro valve and make sure it is full. It has a pump in it which goes to the sump. The sump has 2 level sensors, when the upper one drops then it triggers the ro reservoir pump to come on until the sensor is at high position. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY I'VE ALSO GOT THE TIME ENABLED SO THAT IT WON'T REFILL FOR MORE THAN 2 1/2 MINUTES. So when your sump goes low, it fills it up until it the sensor goes high or 2.5 minutes elapses. This prevents overflow should the sensor be moved or stuck or something. I also have a 2nd sensor in sump for emergency shut off should the water in the sump go to critical low level. Hope this helps.

bbrantley
07/08/2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys. The XY program will work on two inputs, but it's that "basic logic" that I need clarified. I'm amazed that no one who posts here has actually done this. Hello? Bueller?

I've got the redundancy taken care of in a couple of other ways, but thanks for the input bourbon. I'll explain the whole setup in my tank thread, one day, once I figure out if this is even possible. If it's not, I'll probably ditch the Aquatronica and switch to Neptune... because nobody, including the USA distributors or the support folks, seems to be able to help me. :(

Ben

Captain Quirk
07/08/2007, 10:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10299021#post10299021 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bbrantley
Thanks guys. The XY program will work on two inputs, but it's that "basic logic" that I need clarified. I'm amazed that no one who posts here has actually done this. Hello? Bueller?

I agree; seems like a basic kind of thing to do...

I've got the redundancy taken care of in a couple of other ways, but thanks for the input bourbon. I'll explain the whole setup in my tank thread, one day, once I figure out if this is even possible. If it's not, I'll probably ditch the Aquatronica and switch to Neptune... because nobody, including the USA distributors or the support folks, seems to be able to help me. :(

Ben

Unfortunately, this controller may be said to be able to do almost anything but butter your toast, but in reality, it has a long (!!!) way to go before reaching anywhere near it's potential.

My problems with this unit are numerous. Getting answers - and not just innuendo - is difficult if not impossible. I mean, come on: this unit can control over 200 devices - but they aren't supported if they're longer than 45 feet from each other! Their insistence on proprietary software and control signals is absolutely maddening. Non standard voltages, NSA-like "secrecy"... Honestly, I think the fact that it was born from automotive computers may be one of it's greatest weaknesses.

There are many, many controllers coming out that have great promise. And AT is also coming out with some pretty nifty stuff! But the biggest problem - at least in my mind - is the lack of support. I mean, sure, the folks at AO work really hard to take care of us. But when they can't get answers for us, well, the result is still the same: we end up with issues that never get resolved. And, oh, the probe holders! Sheesh! The only thing they're suitable for is making the folks at AT more money... U S E L E S S O T H E R W I S E . . .

I'd kill to have some decent answers and support from these guys. For the prices they charge, we should have an 800 number and a direct line into their offices... Instead we get, well, not much.

FWIW Robby's the best source for help on these things... Him and Andrew over at AO. Hopefully they can help you a bit more.

Sorry I'm not offering any help, but sometimes it's hard to contain my frustration...

RobbyG
07/08/2007, 11:02 PM
Easy enough to do with an XY program.

1st XY program
-------------------
LevelA = Low
and
LevelB = Low

Ro Plug = ON

2nd XY Program
--------------------
LevelA = High
and
LevelB = High

Ro Plug = OFF

BTW if your thinking of using a Neptune, it can't do this kind of program Logic, so you would be out of luck in that direction.

Captain:
LOL saw you posted just as I posted. I agree with you, they really need to get some kind of 800# tech support.
I am getting more swamped at work so I have less forum time :( I still try to visit everyday but it's getting harder.