PDA

View Full Version : best inexpensive ph meter

Kayadad
07/06/2007, 09:48 AM
I am looking for a Ph meter. Ending up getting a used medusa temp controller, so I will be no longer getting an ACjr. I now want something to monitor Ph. I have much difficulty reading the color chart.

How about something like this

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MIL-SM101&Category_Code=Milwaukee

or this

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MIL-PH600AQ&Category_Code=Milwaukee

any suggestions?

seti2020
07/06/2007, 10:54 AM
Well I havent used either one of those meters, but both should be fine. I have my tank in my research lab so I use that meter. However, In case you wanted to know, the important thing about meters is the probe. The pH meter in my lab allows different types of probe, depending on the application. In your case, both of the meters should be find for testing the pH in your aquarium. I would recommend buying pH test solutions, no matter what meter you end up buying. These solutions are made agiven pH usually 3 types pH (3,7,10). You just dip your meter in these solutions and meter should read exactly the same pH #.

Hope this helps.

Kayadad
07/06/2007, 11:11 AM
so are the cheaper pens like the second link listed ok? Or is it better to have one where the probe stays in the water all of the time?

I will definately get the calibration solutions.

seti2020
07/06/2007, 12:18 PM
I am not sure about those brands. But I would try the pen style, good price and convient. Plus if you by it at Foster and Smith they have good return policy, if you dont like it.

Kayadad
07/06/2007, 12:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10284798#post10284798 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seti2020
Plus if you by it at Foster and Smith they have good return policy, if you dont like it.

good to know!

mavgi
07/06/2007, 12:39 PM
when you buy PH monitor you want always to have 2 set point and not one like the second meter.

the different between the first one and the pinpoint meter it's about $30 and the pinpoint prob better , if you can get it IMO it's will be a better meter and will serve you more time .

when you buy the mater you will get the first calibration solution free and if you want to buy more set it's cheap i think about $1 and for saltwater you want the : PH4 - PH7 calibration solution.

Kayadad
07/06/2007, 12:49 PM
mavgi,

thanks! the second meter (ph pen) is out then. I will get extra calibration solution.

So the pinpoint is better than the milwaukee?

talon4x4
07/06/2007, 12:58 PM
Just to jump in and ask something. Why wouldn't the 2nd meter work fine. If you get the test solution and the meter reads the correct pH it should give the proper reading on the tank.

Why spend $80-$100 on a pinpoint meter??

Not trying to say the pinpoint is a bad meter, but if the cheap one works why spend more. Being able to replace just the probe is the only benefit I can see in the pinpoint meter.

I'm was also looking to get a pH meter and the above was my logic not to spend all the money on a pinpoint meter.

The meter I purchased was the one in the pic for $30 on .e.bay. It works great. I check the calibration every now and then, hasn't been off yet. I also check the pH with my salifert and this meter has never been wrong.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/155765ph.JPG

mavgi
07/06/2007, 01:48 PM
read this , scroll down to :" How to Calibrate and Use a pH Meter "

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2004/chem.htm

DocG
07/06/2007, 01:54 PM
I have a pinpoint and a Milwalkee working side by side (one is for the tank, one is for the Ca reactor effluent).

They both work the same. I have actually had to calibrate the Milwaukee less then the pinpoint but not by a lot.

The reason that I wouldn't buy the pen is because it is (IMHO) worth the extra money to get a probe that you can stick in the water to constantly know your pH.

seti2020
07/06/2007, 02:00 PM
talon4x4 makes a good point. The reason why I suggested the pen meter is its cheap and easy to use. If it works as advertised then it should be fine for use testing aquarium pH. There wont be any real measuring differences between meters. However, I dont know which is constructed better.

I say this because if you want a research grade pH meter, which is overkill for what we all are doing, you will spend at least $500 for a good meter. With the research meter you can then tell the pH to another tenth of decimal (.01). And this is the primary difference between expensive probes and cheaper ones, accuracy and precision.

Were as for fish tanks as long as we are within a .5 pH of the reading on meter its good for tank.

Kayadad
07/06/2007, 02:18 PM
anyone see issues with this ebay meter. It is the same one that talon4x4 posted up. Two calibration points. It looks like the probe is not replacable but it is cheap enough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Digital-Mini-pH-Meter-Aquarium-Hydroponics-24-7_W0QQitemZ230149482881QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3212QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem