PDA

View Full Version : cracked tank

chemman1
07/06/2007, 04:36 PM
I have a 29g tank drilled on one of the sides to be set up peninsula style. There is a small crack going out of the hole about an inch. Is it possible to repair this in any way? Could I replace that end with wood and cover it with some type of epoxy? Would the epoxy for a bond with the glass that would be able to hold the water pressure? Any thoughts or comments.

Thanks.

chemman1
07/07/2007, 11:25 AM
any help?

Icefire
07/07/2007, 03:47 PM
get a pane of glass

Siberia
07/17/2007, 11:41 AM
IMO, for a tank of that size, it is cheaper AND less trouble (time is money) to just go out and buy a brand new one. Oh! And trow away the old one to the recycle bin.

:D

theatrus
07/17/2007, 01:45 PM
Agree, just buy a new 29g. And use less pressure drilling the next time :)

BeanAnimal
07/17/2007, 01:48 PM
Just buy a new 29G tank... less trouble and less to worry about. Your gonna spend a lot more than that over the next few years, chalk it up to startup cost :)

coralnut99
07/17/2007, 02:05 PM
One more in favor of a new tank. DIY has to have some limits, and I think repairing a cracked 29 crosses the line. You can spend all that time much more constructively.

I wouldn't pitch the cracked tank though. It seems you cracked the side pane. If that's the case you could dismantle it, and use the glass for some future project (sump baffles, etc.). THAT would save you some money over buying the thicker glass a 29 is made from, at a glass shop. As long as you practice some at cutting glass that is.
As I consolidated many smaller tanks into larger tanks over the years, I've dismantled 4 or 5 29's which are now living as some piece/s of 3 different refugiums in the fish room.