PDA

View Full Version : 6 month old Marine Aquarium...feedback

Zukari
07/06/2007, 10:16 PM
Well, Needless to say I'm still very new...and just wanted to see what the people on this forum thought of my current system.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x192/BlueZukari/AnemoneAndclown.jpg
This anemone is now a month old, he moved once...is huge, dark brown and feeding 2 times a week on silver sides, The two clown fish I Have love him, he is a sebae..

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x192/BlueZukari/Saltwater1.jpg
This was when the tank was VERY young, there is a lot more LR now, I need to get updated pics but it is lights out in the tank.

It's a 55 US gallon tank, currently 4 watts/gallon. Stock includes: 2 False Percula clowns, 1 Blue devil, 1 honey damsil, a Lawnmower blenny, and a sailfin tang (Worry not, he is only an inch, by time he needs a larger tank I will house him in a new one or upgrade...he was given to me)

Right now I'm thinking of returning a damsel and getting a copper band...the ones at the LFS are ick ridden. But what do you all think, I'll have to get some updated pics in. The tank currently has 50 pounds of LR.

I have a skimmer fit for a 90+gallon tank, and a 20 gallon sump on this system as of right now.

-Zukari

-Zukari

Zukari
07/06/2007, 10:19 PM
Also just so it is known, I have never had any problems with the water. I have yet to do anything serious with corals...I don't really know If I want them or not, I'm nervous to take that step. I have not lost a single fish in this tank, and obviously want to keep it that way (even if it is part of the hobby!). I just need someone to budge me into getting a coral or two...

-Zukari

serum153
07/06/2007, 11:27 PM
Nice tank and a few suggestions.
Get rid of that backround and add a all black or blue backround/and get some test kits for calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity...then start adding some softies/zoos./mushrooms. I would also suggest getting some smaller porous rock and start making little caves and overhangs. Some carribean and tonga would be a great start.

As far as fish I would steer clear of the copperband and look into some bangaii cardinals, six line wrasse, coral beauty or flame angel. Keep in mind that the coral beauty, flame and copperband might find your corals tasty.

Zukari
07/06/2007, 11:58 PM
Yea, with the current rock work the fish have tunnels and over hangs to swim through, they seem to enjoy it. Every fish, including the new sail fin have a spot they sleep in every night.

I would like to add some more LR over time, just to add more for looks. As far as a test kit goes, I have not been able to find on that does anything more than your standard Nitrates/Ammonia/PH, I am going to have to order full reef test kit I think.

As far as the background goes, I think I may do that, it was a quick solution to hide the cables I have going behind the tank, I'll have to look for a blue/black one ^^.

Thanks for the feedback

-Zuk

chaffey
07/07/2007, 12:01 AM
tank looks nice, very simple set up.

serum153
07/07/2007, 12:13 AM
I wouldn't get a complete kit such as aquarium pharmaceuticals, red sea, etc... Instead get them individually. I use aquarium pharmaceuticals for my calcium (It has been very accurate), Salifert Magnesium, and I love seachems ph and alkalinity. I have had great success with liveaquaria and highly recommend them.

Zukari
07/07/2007, 12:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10289170#post10289170 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by serum153
I wouldn't get a complete kit such as aquarium pharmaceuticals, red sea, etc... Instead get them individually. I use aquarium pharmaceuticals for my calcium (It has been very accurate), Salifert Magnesium, and I love seachems ph and alkalinity. I have had great success with liveaquaria and highly recommend them.

Thanks for the tip^^, that would be even better considering I have the basic testing supplies.

-Zuk

chris31
07/07/2007, 04:48 AM
yea IMO i would get some more rock and yea no offense maybe you like it but get a blue or black backround ooo and i noticed that you have your heater in your display put it in your sump so you dont have to look at it in your display. but so far it looks good keep us posted

Young Frankenstein
07/07/2007, 05:22 AM
I like the light fixture, well and the tank

maxalmon
07/07/2007, 08:27 AM
I would go with a salifert test kits and maybe paint the back of the tank black, good luck and keep up the good work

faulkincanyon
07/07/2007, 09:03 AM
if you dont want to take your tank down to paint the back....do what I did...just cut black poster board to size and slap it on there

jon99
07/07/2007, 09:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10288745#post10288745 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Zukari
Also just so it is known, I have never had any problems with the water. I have yet to do anything serious with corals...I don't really know If I want them or not, I'm nervous to take that step. I have not lost a single fish in this tank, and obviously want to keep it that way (even if it is part of the hobby!). I just need someone to budge me into getting a coral or two...

-Zukari

I was the same way. It was mainly lack of understanding their care and their price that kept me away. That was until I saw a beautiful $15 xenia frag at a LFS. What's 15 bucks I thought, and have never looked back since! The main thing with coral that is different then fish is water quality (has to be, in general terms, cleaner) and lighting. Maintaining your pH, alk, and calcium also. Other then that it's no different then fish. In some cases easier!! I can't tell you how many fish I've had die from ich, but I have yet to have a coral die from any disease or parasite (I know it does happen tho). They also don't seem to stress out nearly as much as most fish either. I have had several very shy angelfish die from nothing more than simply being stressed out from being in a tank. The only reason I ever lost any corals was due to water quality issues. Keep these up and your good to go. Oh wait, and then that first xenia that I killed with ich medication. Thay methyl blue stuff is NOT reef safe no matter what the fish store guy tells you or what it says on the bottle!!

jon99
07/07/2007, 09:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10290084#post10290084 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maxalmon
I would go with a salifert test kits and maybe paint the back of the tank black, good luck and keep up the good work

I agree, salifert test kits are VERY good and eas to use. I use them fro pretty much everything but pH, for which I just got a pinpoint pH meter. I usedd seechem before and it worked great. Check out ebay if you want to save some $ on test kits, but make sure you get gaood quality such as the salifert. Otherwise its a waste of money.