PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Wrasse?

specialkb
07/07/2007, 12:06 PM
Im thinking about getting a leopard Wrasse and was just wondering what your experience is with them in a reef tank and how they did/ are doing. and if you have any pictures would be great to see them

Thanks,

Kyle

specialkb
07/07/2007, 02:24 PM
Nobody have any experience with these guys?

AaronKelly
07/07/2007, 03:37 PM
im planning to also get one.. actually a mated pair to put in my tank. ive been doing a lot of research on them and they are reef safe and swim all the time. they tend to live under your substrate at night and are active during the day. dont order from online, the shipping isnt worth the risk of losing them because they are not guaranteed. if you get the chance ask one of your lfs to purchase one for you so you can see it eating and swimming healthy.

Satori
07/07/2007, 03:56 PM
I ordered one from Live Aquaria .com, where they are guaranteed. The first one didn't make it because of a shipping problem. LA said no problem and got my second one right out.

It ended up jumping out recently, (through a tiny gap in the egg crate for a fan) but while I had it, I loved that fish. Lots of personality. I'll be getting another one. (and fix my egg crate gap)

MusMusculus
07/07/2007, 05:11 PM
Make sure you have a 2" or greater bed of fine-grained sand in at least some portion of your tank. Mine have been very picky about prepared food, especially in the presence of more aggressive eaters. Give them a well-established tank with a lot of live rock. They are copepod hunters.

jrobison
07/07/2007, 06:28 PM
I was lucky enough to get one the LFS had for 18 mos. It is doing great, loves mysis, swims all the time, and is an aggressive feeder. I think the key is getting one accustomed to captivity. I have an open top and haven't had any problems with jumping. Good Luck!

reefD
07/07/2007, 06:33 PM
they do like to borrow so expect them to dig...also remember they may not be totally reef safe. they like to eat inverts like small pods but can and do go after small snails/hermits. also with time they grow (6 inches) and act like the name implies...like a leopard. fast aggressive and big appitite. dont get me wrong they can be reef safe.
that aside try to get a larger specimen as they are more likly to eat and adjust to ur tank with no problems. they are known for being a hard feed specimen overall so be prepared

AquaReeferMan
07/07/2007, 06:53 PM
Ive had mine for about 2 months now. They are pod eaters like mandarins. It just recently started eating prepared foods. PE mysis, Live brine, Flake, and Nori. I had a divided along with an indo pacific. My clowns ended up chasing the divided into the carpet but left the other one alone. The divided also started eating prepared food before he was killed. Awesome fish. Once I get rid of my clowns and carpet I will get another divided one. Like stated above you need a somewhat deep, fine sandbed. If your tank is still young I would stay away from this fish for a while. Let your pod population establish just in case it doesnt eat prepared foods. Heres some videos of mine.

Macropharyngodon meleagris:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e349/aquareeferman/th_PICT0365-2.jpg (http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e349/aquareeferman/?action=view&current=PICT0365-2.flv)

Macropharyngodon bipartitus: RIP, darn clownfish
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e349/aquareeferman/th_PICT0224.jpg (http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e349/aquareeferman/?action=view&current=PICT0224.flv)

RichConley
07/07/2007, 07:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10292732#post10292732 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefD
they do like to borrow so expect them to dig...also remember they may not be totally reef safe. they like to eat inverts like small pods but can and do go after small snails/hermits. also with time they grow (6 inches) and act like the name implies...like a leopard. fast aggressive and big appitite. dont get me wrong they can be reef safe.
that aside try to get a larger specimen as they are more likly to eat and adjust to ur tank with no problems. they are known for being a hard feed specimen overall so be prepared

I've had a half dozen leopards, or so, and know a ton of people with them, and I've never seen one that wasnt reef safe.

pledosophy
07/07/2007, 08:27 PM
IMO the macrogeoffrey is the prettiest fish I have ever seen.

I have a 65g up, with 130 lbs of LR, a sandbed and a 20g refugium sump, that has been running for 6 months, just waiting for it's second fish, the macrogeoffrey, I do have a bi color blenny in there now.

They are cool fish, but you do have to plan for them. I plan on keeping it with a pair of erectus and a pair of barbouri.

JMO

Paliya
07/08/2007, 01:59 PM
I've had a leopard wrasse for about three weeks. Her and my hawaiian flame wrasse are always together. The flame wrasse bullied for about 3 days, and now they're like best friends. Also, my leopard started eating frozen mysis after about the first week. I'm trying to get it to eat formula 1 pellets now. The only thing that sucks, is that my leopard doesn't seem to be eating flatworms, and I heard that they would. Also, the flame wrasse burries herself around 7:00pm every night and my lights go off at 9:30.

Great fish though. If you can find one that's healthy and will eat prepared foods, (and you have sand) then I would definitely recommend getting one.