PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my plumbing...

impreza
07/07/2007, 12:58 PM
This is a very very simple question, sorry, I am totally new to this plumbing stuff!

So in my setup, I have a 1" return at the back of my tank. I bought a quietone submersible pump to pump water from my sump back into my display tank. The pump has a 1" outlet. Now, I have the PVC and everything, but how do I connect the pump to the PVC? is there a special fitting that I am supposed to use?

Thanks in advance!

nosferatu51
07/07/2007, 01:31 PM
I don't have a quiet one pump, but usually theres a screw on section to attach the piping to. If not, buy a connector that has a screw-on end and a smooth end and attach it to the end of the pump. Someone else may be more helpful though.

nosferatu51
07/07/2007, 01:31 PM
I don't have a quiet one pump, but usually theres a screw on section to attach the piping to. If not, buy a connector that has a screw-on end and a smooth end and attach it to the end of the pump. Someone else may be more helpful though.

am3gross
07/07/2007, 02:02 PM
i dont have one of those pumps either but like said above buy one of these half threaded pieces at you home depot and make sure that you glue the piece to the pump that is smooth. if you dont glue this piece then it may come off when the pump is turned on and you will make a big mess and have your wife looking at you like your crazy, cause that is what happened to me.... i would make sure you put some kind of ball valve in the return line some where so you can control the flow. if you have too much flow you can over fill the tank.... once again making a mess and you know the rest of the story! good luck!

impreza
07/07/2007, 02:08 PM
Are ball valves available at Home depot? Also, if I were to use a MAG pump, it has an 3/4" outlet. How do I convert this outlet to a the 1" bulkhead for my return?

impreza
07/07/2007, 02:47 PM
Also, is PVC totally necessary? Or can I use like the clear aquarium tubing that is flexible that you can buy by the foot at Home Depot? and secure it with hose clamps?

Mykayel
07/07/2007, 07:29 PM
You could use flexable hose but personally I'd use PVC to attach to your pump and then put a barb fitting on the PVC to attach your hose to. Doing that way, you won't have a hose clamp underwater, and I wouldn't even trust a stainless clamp. In the PVC section at Lowes or HD they have threaded to slip fittings. There's only one type of thread so you don't have to worry about getting the right type so long as you get the right diamter. I suggest putting teflon tape around any threads to provde a perfect seal even if they will be underwater. They also sell fittings to go from one size to the next. One thing I personally like to do is to put a union http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/home/plumbing/pvc_pressure_pipe_fittings/80410/list.htm inline with the pump, so if you want to take it out to clean it (or replace it) its all you have to do is unscrew one fitting and its out in 5 seconds.

davidryder
07/07/2007, 08:56 PM
If you use flex tubing you will want to use barbed fittings, otherwise it will likely leak - even with a hose clamp...

Take the pump to home depot and find a fitting and build something that works right there in the store... that's probably going to be the easiest way to do it - especially being new at plumbing. Good luck!

impreza
07/08/2007, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the help! Is the teflon tape available at Home Depot as well?

davidryder
07/08/2007, 01:24 AM
Definitely!