PDA

View Full Version : Florida Key Biscayne lighthouse water

Young Frankenstein
07/07/2007, 04:25 PM
Florida key Biscayne lighthouse water, is probably the best water you can find for your fish tank, I have tested that water and all perimeters are excellent. Another reason is there's a lot of corals growing on the rocks in that area, and that another reason to believe that water is premium quality. Get it if you leave close by on the tide coming in. Sundays if you see a nice looking tall handsome person driving a Rolls Royce with 3-5 gallon water containers, that's me :):smokin:

Tony44
07/07/2007, 04:33 PM
Why does a nice looking tall handsome person driving a Rolls Royce go out and sweat, get his hands dirty and get his own water?

Shouldnt someone do it for you?

kevin2000
07/07/2007, 04:42 PM
Plenty of people use ocean for their tanks .. all it takes is some common sense and a strong back.

BTW .. there is nothing in your test kit which is going to tell you that the SW has oil, gas, sewage, pesticide etc ... thats where the common sense comes in.

Wett Hands
07/07/2007, 05:11 PM
So THATS how one affords a Rolls... Lug your own water from the ocean. LMA:lmao:

Grins
07/07/2007, 05:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10292138#post10292138 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tony44
Why does a nice looking tall handsome person driving a Rolls Royce go out and sweat, get his hands dirty and get his own water?

Shouldnt someone do it for you?

For that matter, why even drive it yourself? Have the driver lug the water buckets.

Young Frankenstein
07/07/2007, 08:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10292333#post10292333 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Grins
For that matter, why even drive it yourself? Have the driver lug the water buckets. I did not say I do anything other than point a finger to my fish tank maids of where to lug my fish tank water.:smokin:

Shagsbeard
07/08/2007, 05:27 AM
I don't believe you're spending $20 a week on salt... unless you're doing something really wrong.

Local sea water for me needs substantial filtering before it can be used. Anything from the 50ish degree water off the coast of California is going to do one of two things when you put it in an 80ish degree tank... die or bloom. Both are negatives. There are plenty of places that filter the water until there is not even a microbe in it though.

Remember though, that in this hobby natural isn't always better. Because we evaporate out water, we concentrate toxins that are undetectable in nature. Water changes are an important way of controling these toxins.

Young Frankenstein
07/08/2007, 06:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10292331#post10292331 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wett Hands
So THATS how one affords a Rolls... Lug your own water from the ocean. LMA:lmao: I totally agree. $ 20.00 in salt every week for 52 weeks that's $ 1040.00 savings per year :)

bpulmano
07/08/2007, 07:45 AM
I think the whole purpose of the post was to be able to say Rolls Royce...

Wett Hands
07/08/2007, 10:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10295321#post10295321 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bpulmano
I think the whole purpose of the post was to be able to say Rolls Royce...

Yeah, and????... :rolleyes:

We're just havin' some fun...

I've seen a few posts where people just wanted to say 'reefer' :p

Tony44
07/08/2007, 01:03 PM
I live in Florida, and I have really thought about getting ocean water, but for some reason I havent yet. What are these places you are talking about? That filter the water? Some kind of research places, or what?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10295086#post10295086 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Shagsbeard
I don't believe you're spending $20 a week on salt... unless you're doing something really wrong.

Local sea water for me needs substantial filtering before it can be used. Anything from the 50ish degree water off the coast of California is going to do one of two things when you put it in an 80ish degree tank... die or bloom. Both are negatives. There are plenty of places that filter the water until there is not even a microbe in it though.

Remember though, that in this hobby natural isn't always better. Because we evaporate out water, we concentrate toxins that are undetectable in nature. Water changes are an important way of controling these toxins.

MR PALM BEACH
07/08/2007, 01:57 PM
Tony44 I use water from the Jupiter Inlet or Blueherion(Phil Foster Park) you just have to remember that the water Is around 1.030. I have been doing water changs like this for about a year now. Also just for record there are two LFS In the WPB area that carry sea salt ready to buy but they clam they get It shipped In but I have 2 different sources tell me they have seen them pump It from the same spots I go.

Young Frankenstein
07/08/2007, 03:09 PM
Not filtered Tonny 44, We got some good water here in Miami, This is in tide coming in at the Crandon Park, key Biscayne lighthouse.

Young Frankenstein
07/08/2007, 03:13 PM
Tonny corals are probably the most sensitive creatures in the ocean, if there's corals growing where you get your water, and you test for the basics and mach the deep, I would use it with much better confidence than making my own from unnatural salt mixes.

Tony44
07/08/2007, 07:52 PM
You guys can call me Tony, the 44 is just cause "Tony" wasnt available.

Thanks for the info. I dont live up that way, I am near Boynton Beach, I was thinking of going to the Boynton Inlet on incoming tide, and getting water this way. BTW, what do you use to pump the water from the inlet?

I believe those two stores are Oceans Below, and Tanks a Lot, both great stores btw. I am pretty sure Rob at Oceans Below told me he gets his water right from the ocean, and I have heard from numerous people that they see a truck with Tanks a lot on the side, that pumps water right from the inlet.

And Agios, I definitely agree with you. I just dont see how anything could be better than natural ocean water, its just I hear so many people talk about pollution, parasites, etc.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10297194#post10297194 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MR PALM BEACH
Tony44 I use water from the Jupiter Inlet or Blueherion(Phil Foster Park) you just have to remember that the water Is around 1.030. I have been doing water changs like this for about a year now. Also just for record there are two LFS In the WPB area that carry sea salt ready to buy but they clam they get It shipped In but I have 2 different sources tell me they have seen them pump It from the same spots I go.

Young Frankenstein
07/08/2007, 08:24 PM
Tony if there's corals growing there, have no doubt you are getting the beast you can get.

Gdevine
07/08/2007, 08:31 PM
Funny. Tony and I were just having this conversation and I find this thread in the Newbie forum.

I have been using NSW for well over a year on a 65g Ecosystem drawn from the water here in Light House Point, South FLA. My LFS has been selling it for years and years and in fact their entire store system runs on it and all I can say is from what I see...and that is everything in my tank thrives...almost too much if that's possible.

Yea, there's a very minute risk of pollutants as there are risks that one does not mix their salt solutions correctly or that the manufacturer who makes the mixes don't screw up the formulations.

There are risks in all that we do; and while I've heard of disasters using NSW I've never met any one who has personally had one and more that have had huge success.

That's why God made vanilla and choclate i guess. For me, it's NSW all the way:)

Tony44
07/08/2007, 08:32 PM
I really have no way of knowing if there are corals growing out there though. On the beach, no I havent seen any, and when I go snorkeling I dont see any either. I am pretty sure there is a reef a few miles off the coast though, so that would be a sign of good water.

Tony44
07/08/2007, 08:38 PM
That is pretty funny, I honestly thought you saw this and that is why you asked me again lol.

The more I think about it, the more sure I am that I am going to use ocean water for the new tank.

Thanks

<a
href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10299520#post10299520 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gdevine
Funny. Tony and I were just having this conversation and I find this thread in the Newbie forum.

I have been using NSW for well over a year on a 65g Ecosystem drawn from the water here in Light House Point, South FLA. My LFS has been selling it for years and years and in fact their entire store system runs on it and all I can say is from what I see...and that is everything in my tank thrives...almost too much if that's possible.

Yea, there's a very minute risk of pollutants as there are risks that one does not mix their salt solutions correctly or that the manufacturer who makes the mixes don't screw up the formulations.

There are risks in all that we do; and while I've heard of disasters using NSW I've never met any one who has personally had one and more that have had huge success.

That's why God made vanilla and choclate i guess. For me, it's NSW all the way:)

Young Frankenstein
07/08/2007, 08:45 PM
Crandon Park @ Key Biscayne. Pay $ 5.00 to get in, swim in crystal clear water, BBQ, fill up NSW......... call it a day :)

Tony44
07/08/2007, 08:55 PM
Sounds like a fun place, just to far of a drive.

Captain Bucket
07/08/2007, 09:32 PM
I was born and raised in Ft. Lauderdale, and all I have to say is that if there are corals in Biscayne Bay, its a hell of a lot cleaner now than when I was growing up. You might even have some of my dad in that water, as thats where we scattered his ashes about 28 years ago.

I pump my water out of a nearby boat harbor when the tides coming in. I bought a little 12V marine pump for washing down boats (about $90) from my local marine boating supply. Its positive discharge so all I have to do is pull up to the waters edge, clamp it to my SUVs battery, (been thinking about splicing in a plug for my cars lighter, but I'm afraid I might start blowing fuses) toss the suction hose in the water and start filling jugs.

Plenty of fine looking livestock to watch while I'm pumping. Moorish Idols, various tangs, and wrasses, green sea turtles close enough I can jump on 'em, oh yeah, and some corals. Theres a flame angel hangs out right about where my hose suction usually lands.

I do take precautions though, I run all my seawater through a diatom/charcoal filter before it goes in the tank to get rid of parasites etc., and I never collect after a heavy rain, as runoff has the worse stuff in it, chemicals that just can't be filtered. IMO to do anything less is just plain nuts.

SG is invariably 1.028, and my livestock never seems to have experienced any bad effects. :cool:

All that being said, perhaps I've been lucky.

Young Frankenstein
07/09/2007, 04:16 AM
The tip of the Key and North side are the only ones rely clean, the south side is kind of dirty.

currentking
07/09/2007, 06:32 AM
wht mile marker is that? Im kinda new to florida.

Randall_James
07/09/2007, 08:22 AM
Everything I have ever read about using NSW is that it should be essentially sterilized.

Young Frankenstein
07/09/2007, 06:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10301472#post10301472 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by currentking
wht mile marker is that? Im kinda new to florida. The entrance to Key Biscayne is at the end of 95

Young Frankenstein
07/10/2007, 04:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10301957#post10301957 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randall_James
Everything I have ever read about using NSW is that it should be essentially sterilized. I was thinking again Randall..... On one posts of Paul B he mentioned something about adding chlorine to saltwater and using it after 3 days.

MR PALM BEACH
07/10/2007, 08:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10299205#post10299205 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tony44

No pump I just submerse a 5g jug and walk It back to the car with everybody looking at me like Im crazy. Ya you hit the nail on the head with stores also.

You guys can call me Tony, the 44 is just cause "Tony" wasnt available.

Thanks for the info. I dont live up that way, I am near Boynton Beach, I was thinking of going to the Boynton Inlet on incoming tide, and getting water this way. BTW, what do you use to pump the water from the inlet?

I believe those two stores are Oceans Below, and Tanks a Lot, both great stores btw. I am pretty sure Rob at Oceans Below told me he gets his water right from the ocean, and I have heard from numerous people that they see a truck with Tanks a lot on the side, that pumps water right from the inlet.

And Agios, I definitely agree with you. I just dont see how anything could be better than natural ocean water, its just I hear so many people talk about pollution, parasites, etc.

Young Frankenstein
07/11/2007, 04:41 AM
Nice tank palm beach, good luck.

Young Frankenstein
07/11/2007, 04:42 AM
Paul B if you can read this, please explain the method of using bleach, and then just letting it evaporate, maybe that's the way to go about using NSW safely.

Randall_James
07/11/2007, 10:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10313125#post10313125 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 0 Agios
I was thinking again Randall..... On one posts of Paul B he mentioned something about adding chlorine to saltwater and using it after 3 days. Well that is a pretty cool way to do it.... (I would imagine most of the organics would settle to the bottom as well now)

Now as long as you do not have to worry about heavy metals or other contaminants, you are home free.

Young Frankenstein
07/12/2007, 02:11 PM
Now I am thinking again Randal, after Pauls B humongous tank crash this month, maybe I should not do the chlorine thing, ah ?

Randall_James
07/12/2007, 03:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10326977#post10326977 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 0 Agios
Now I am thinking again Randal, after Pauls B humongous tank crash this month, maybe I should not do the chlorine thing, ah ? Tank crash? Thread please......

Young Frankenstein
07/12/2007, 03:51 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1156187

Young Frankenstein
07/12/2007, 05:14 PM
Thats the link randal http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/s...hreadid=1156187

Randall_James
07/12/2007, 05:31 PM
curious as to if it is a heavy metal issue...

Gdevine
07/12/2007, 09:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10326977#post10326977 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 0 Agios
Now I am thinking again Randal, after Pauls B humongous tank crash this month, maybe I should not do the chlorine thing, ah ?

Chlorine has only one place in a marine tank...about a 100 feet away. Hell, when I get out of my pool and feed my tank I wash any chlorine residue off my hands before I even go near my tank.

I've known of tank crashes where the owner had some Clorox on their hands (dried) from doing laundry earlier in the day and put their hands in the tank...you know the rest of the story.

ReefWreak
07/12/2007, 10:23 PM
Dude, PaulB has been using NSW collected off Long Island for 30+ years. It's certainly possible that the crash is related to the water, but he's been using it for decades, so I would imagine that the water is cleaner now than it used to be 30 years ago. Mobro3000 anyone?

You can chlorinate or bleach your water to sterilize it, then use Seachem's Prime to eliminate the chlorine. You'd want to use a pool chlorine test kit to ensure that you're not introducing any chlorine from that procedure into the tank.

Most of the LFS in FL I think use NSW. I know Barrier Reef here in Boca uses it but they UV sterilize and micron filter it first (at least that's what they tell me). I've tested the water for any NO3, PO4, and NH3 and nothing, the Alk was low at 6dkh, but salinity was spot on at 1.026/35ppt. Calcium was low as well at 350.

The issue with introducing chlorine to the tank is certainly real and devastating, as it would kill bacteria which would cause a big crash and subsequent cycle again. Rinse your hands with prime? :p

Randall_James
07/12/2007, 10:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10329939#post10329939 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gdevine
Chlorine has only one place in a marine tank...about a 100 feet away. Hell, when I get out of my pool and feed my tank I wash any chlorine residue off my hands before I even go near my tank.

I've known of tank crashes where the owner had some Clorox on their hands (dried) from doing laundry earlier in the day and put their hands in the tank...you know the rest of the story. There is no way that "dried" clorox would cause this. When Clorox (or any other liquid bleach) dries, all the chlorine is gone.

The tank crashes were due to something else

Gdevine
07/12/2007, 11:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10330359#post10330359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randall_James
There is no way that "dried" clorox would cause this. When Clorox (or any other liquid bleach) dries, all the chlorine is gone.

Then support your claim.

I know of two specific tank crashes where this was the only cause and none other...even when params were dead on just a day before. The tank owner(s) admitted to washing cloths, with their hands in Clorox, just hours before doing maintenance on their tank. And yes, they forgot to wash their hands.

The next day, devastation. I know of two situations almost identical in their situation and the result...the same.

Talk to those who do tank maintenance for a living and they'll tell you similar stories.

Gdevine
07/12/2007, 11:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10330359#post10330359 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randall_James
There is no way that "dried" clorox would cause this. When Clorox (or any other liquid bleach) dries, all the chlorine is gone.

This is also like saying that if your hands had dried perfume on them they wouldn't affect a tank. Test that one on your tank and tell us the results.

Young Frankenstein
07/13/2007, 03:44 AM
Paul's crash was due to zinc issues, at least that's what Paul assumes, but the man has used chlorine successfully for years, how do we know chlorine was totally evaporated this time ? we don't, it could be a miscalculation on Pauls side, this things happen, I wish Paul can read this and give us some facts about using chlorine to clean NSW.

Paul B
07/13/2007, 05:17 AM
Hey guys, I am a little out of it this morning. My wife was sent to the hospital yesterday so I am going there as soon as visitor hours start.
About the chlorine, this time that I had a tank problem where most of my corals died (but not all) I have a zinc problem (I think)
I have not used Chlorine in about 6 months so I know it's not that. I did however kill almost all of my fish twice since 1972 with Chlorine.
It was my mistake both times.
I only use Clorox when I take water from the Western Long Island Sound and then only when the water looks questionable. I think questionable NSW is still better than ASW. My tap water is full of zinc and copper.
Even if the NSW has red tide in it I still use it but I sterilize it with Regular Clorox. It has to be "Regular" Clorox. That was my problem the first time many years ago. I used "New Fresh Scent" Clorox and killed everything in minutes. It was almost instant.
I did not invent using Clorox, that was Robert Straughn "The Father of Salt Water Fish Keeping and in my opinion the man who contributed more to this hobby than anyone else with a common sense approach. I aquired my basic knowledge from him.
To use Clorox the dose is one tablespoon of "Regular Clorox" to 5 gallons of NSW. After a few days to a week you add twice the dosage of Chlorine eliminator and airate for a day. If it still smells of chlorine add more chlorine eliminator.
You can also filter it through carbon and use the water sooner. The Clorox will sterilize the water but more importantly it will oxidize any organics. The NSW should be strained before treatment to eliminate plankton and algae as these will use up the chlorine in their destruction.
The first squid eggs were hatched out in Clorox treated water.
I once treated my entire tank that was full of ich with one cup of Clorox to fifty gallons of water. After carbon filtration I added fish and that tank is still running after 36 years. I did not change the Clorox treated water before adding fish.
Chlorine makes NSW much better by eliminating organics.
Don't put Clorox in your tank with animals as people have done this and blamed me for killing their animals. Also I don't advocate this method because there is of course the possability to make a mistake and also kill your animals. I only mention the method because it was asked for. Most NSW needs no treatment at all and can be used right out of the sea as I usually do.
Paul

Young Frankenstein
07/13/2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks paul good luck with your wife.

Randall_James
07/14/2007, 08:34 AM
Scented bleach is a bad news bear for sure... Hope your wife is feeling better soon

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10330622#post10330622 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gdevine
This is also like saying that if your hands had dried perfume on them they wouldn't affect a tank. Test that one on your tank and tell us the results. Perfume and liquid bleach are as different as water and oil..

If you do a bit of research on hypochlorite solution, you will find what I am telling you is true.

What is left behind (in varying degrees) is sodium chloride (could be deadly to your fish but you might needa few cups) :)

Paul B
07/14/2007, 09:40 AM
AS I said I put an entire cup of Clorox in my tank and did not change the water. There was no adverse affects on the animals when I put them in a few days later.
Paul

kevin2000
07/14/2007, 01:30 PM
MMM

Bleach is simply chlorine ... same stuff they used to use in purifying tap water. Chlorine is very volatile and readily evaporates (remember the "old FW days" when we just let our replacement water sit out for a day to evaporate the chlorine.) Most water providers have been forced to switch to chloramine because chlorine would evaporate too rapidly.

I know nothing about NY ocean water ... I used Ocean water for many yrs without filtering or sterlizing it ... I found the micro critters the primary benefit of using Ocean water ... maybe NY water is too cold +/or loaded with crud.

Many public aquariums on the West Coast use unfiltered Ocean water.

Whisperer
07/14/2007, 03:53 PM
How about running the ocean water through a double layer of very fine filrter socks or a thick layer of clean fine sand like they used to do in the olden days. Any thoughts?

Paul B
07/14/2007, 04:46 PM
I usually just run it through a coffee filter to remove the numerous tiny jellyfish and other plankton that will die in a tank anyway.

Young Frankenstein
07/14/2007, 05:43 PM
Paul I think this is the way to go for those that can easily or willing to put the effort of getting NSW ( Natural Salt Water), by the way I am working on a sweet backup 12 volt emergency pump system that I think you would like using $ 12.00 bilge pumps that I got from Advance Auto parts, I probably will post this in the DIY forum, very efficient with no converter, so there's no current burden.

Paul B
07/14/2007, 06:10 PM
O Agios, sounds good, I have a back up generator, before that I used to use my SCUBA tank
Paul

Young Frankenstein
07/14/2007, 06:52 PM
Paul this design is so good I think I am gone patent this and make millions :)

Paul B
07/15/2007, 04:29 AM
O Agios, good luck with that. I have a patent and two on the way.
Diden't make millions yet :lol:
Takes a few years to make back the patent cost.
http://www.breedersregistry.org/Articles/v4_i3_paul_b/paul_b.htm

Young Frankenstein
07/15/2007, 06:58 AM
Paul good morning, hope all is OK, that's very innovative, how much did it cost you to patent ? if you don't mind me asking.

Paul B
07/15/2007, 07:14 AM
O Agios it cost me about $6,000 for the provisional patent.
I sold over 6,000 of them so I made my money back. I also donated them to all the public aquariums that I could find.
My business was called "Urchin Searchin Enterprise" because I used to have a business collecting urchins.
I don't make them any more because I am retiring in 20 weeks (who's counting) I will leave that electrical stuff to you from now on. 36 years was enough.
Paul