PDA

View Full Version : (broke skimmer) how long will tank be ok

-MillerTime-
07/07/2007, 06:07 PM
hey the propeller in the pump of my skimmer broke and i have to order it which could take up to a week befor i get it. will i be ok with a heavily stocked tank doing partial water changes more frequently?

db_triggerfish
07/07/2007, 08:43 PM
There are quite a few people without skimmers like myself on a 16g nano (which i don't recommend, my new 90g will have a quality skimmer for sure) but one week without a skimmer should be no problem just don't over feed. Look at this 75g skimmerless:

Andreas skimmerless 75g:

http://www.reefvideos.com/

luke33
07/07/2007, 08:46 PM
Yea, you'll be fine with 10% water changes weekly imo, you could run some carbon to your tank as well.

RichConley
07/07/2007, 10:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10293441#post10293441 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by db_triggerfish
There are quite a few people without skimmers like myself on a 16g nano (which i don't recommend, my new 90g will have a quality skimmer for sure) but one week without a skimmer should be no problem just don't over feed. Look at this 75g skimmerless:

Andreas skimmerless 75g:

http://www.reefvideos.com/

Theres a huge difference between running a skimmerless tank, and running a skimmed tank without a skimmer.

Animals have built up in your tank (bacteria) to handle the waste, they havent in his.

Wryknow
07/08/2007, 12:56 AM
The easiest thing to do is to severly cut back on your feeding until you get the skimmer back up and running. Your fish can certainly miss a few days of feeding without any problems and it will immediately reduce the load on your bio system.

taxman95
07/08/2007, 07:58 AM
I went about 2 months before replacing the skimmer on my tank (I'm upgrading to a larger tank in the fall and spent time trying to decide what to do in the interim, before deciding to get a BM250 that would also fit in my existing set up) Its a 130 with 2 large tangs and about 5 other fish.

I had no problems with my fish at all, and there was no sign of any stress.

I only do monthly water changes. I feed my tank every second day

I do have lots of circulation and flow, but that should offset not having a skimmer.

While I'm no technical expert, I thought I would just add my experience