PDA

View Full Version : which clowns for zoo?

drbronx
07/07/2007, 08:47 PM
Jarek of Ithaca reef was kind enough to offer as many pairs of clownfish species as is reasonable for this size tank/. I can certainly ask what he recommends but are there any preferences. I was thinking one pair should be ocellaris or peculia for the "Nemo" factor.

fatrip
07/07/2007, 08:55 PM
yes deff ocellaris, or perc depending one how much they look like nemo...lol... i would say they are the prettyest clowns...do you think a pair of maron clowns would be to big and dominate when they grow up?? or the black and white ones (sabe) not sure if that is the right name for them.

nwrogers
07/07/2007, 09:56 PM
I personally like the orange ocellaris the best but the black ocellaris are really cool too. Maybe we could get a pair of each?

Dave VG
07/08/2007, 01:05 PM
A pair of Orange ocellaris would work in keeping with the nemo facture that people have come to know sense the movie. If other types of clowns would get along we could have two types. They say do not mix tho. Are these tank raised Jerry? If so not to hijack your thread, but if they are tank raised would he be willing to sell some to our members also? I would buy two myself and maybe a couple of others would also be interested. I have not had very good luck with shipped ones or ones purchased locally.

drbronx
07/08/2007, 01:45 PM
I believe he just sell to LFSs but I can ask the next time I speak to him. BTW, yes, they are all tank bred. He breeds seven species of clowns. Check out his website at www.ithacareef.com

flar92
07/08/2007, 02:40 PM
I would steer away from Maroons and Tomatoe clowns they tend to get large and bully other fish.

Gary Majchrzak
07/08/2007, 07:02 PM
FWIW ocellaris would certainly breed more readily than percula.
One pair of Jerek's ocellaris were breeding for me within a year of them being eggs... without the usual heavy feedings to get them in spawning condition.

St.james of reefdom
07/08/2007, 08:18 PM
ditto on gary's remark...bicinctus take forever also

drbronx
07/09/2007, 06:08 AM
Do we necessarily want our clowns to spawn? Won't the fry just become instant fishfood? Although I do think a pair of ocellaris is the way to go. Advice taken, we'll stay away from Maroons and Tomatoes. So maybe a pair of Black ocellaris or true perculias.

fatrip
07/09/2007, 06:20 AM
yea i think a pair of orange ocellaris and a pair of black ocellaris would be a nice contrast of colors for that same shape fish. and even if they do spawn it wont be a bad thing it just feeds the tank a little more.