PDA

View Full Version : DIY Skimmer question (ASM knockoff)

wharfrat48
07/08/2007, 10:02 AM
Just set up my DIY skimmer (ASM recirc type) and I cant get my skimmer water level to remain constant. I have a T off my drain feeding the skimmer with a ball valve to adjust the flow, and an adjustable tube (similar to ASM) to adjust the water level. Even with relativly low flow the skimmer water level fluctuates so much that I either get no skimmate or just plain water. Is there a good way to keep the level constant or should I mod it to a non-recirculating type?

Thanks

bebitte70
07/08/2007, 10:52 AM
Worst case, feed it with a small pump from your sump instead of directly from the drain.

RichConley
07/08/2007, 11:59 AM
either your drain isnt giving the skimmer consistent water, or the pump isnt pulling consistent air.

I'd bet on the pump, because with a standpipe (AND NOT A GATEVALVE) changes in input tend not to make much of a difference.

wharfrat48
07/08/2007, 01:45 PM
Why would the skimmer not pull consistant air? I have a sedra 9000 needlewheel.

daytonreefRob
07/08/2007, 07:17 PM
I was never really able to set a gravity feed up like you were mentioning. Just get a small power head and hook it up as a feed pump.

Are you dosing anything in your tank? Some additives will render skimmers useless for a bit.