PDA

View Full Version : looking for input on tough decision-should i euthanize this fish?? kinda graphic

flyyyguy
07/08/2007, 11:34 AM
My tanks crashed over the holiday and the temp in the tank this fish was in hit 100 degrees.

I got the temp down and found him with his face stuck to a cls intake. I figured he was a goner and put him in the sump to give him a chance without intakes to worry about. I tried to feed him down there but he wouldnt heat. Yesterday afternoon he was swimming well so i moved him back to the display. He is swimming strong enough that the intakes are not an issue but he will still not eat and his face and tail are starting to deteriorate.

I have a TON of flow and if he wasnt swimming well in it i would have already put him out of his misery. But he IS swimming well but wont eat.

What do you think?? Does he have a chance or am i simply torturing him and watching him die a slow painful death??

There is a tomini in the tank as well who seems unphased by the whole incident. He was the lone survivor.......or at least i thought he was...this rabbit is still a maybe in my mind unless you make me think differently

this is before
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/flyyyguy/closed/bestfriends1.jpg

and now

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/flyyyguy/lifts/rabbit2.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/flyyyguy/lifts/rabbit1.jpg

thecichlidpleco
07/08/2007, 11:38 AM
I have seen much worse, for example my jack Dempsey had extreme red ulcers and cores all over his body, fast breathing, laying on its back, not eating. And after about a week and half of melafix, he is doing much better.
Hopefully someone will chime in with some meds.

jpitts101
07/08/2007, 11:39 AM
at least give him a fighting chance! i've seen fish regenerate fins. as long as he isnt on the bottom breathing hard you may have a good chance for a full recovery. dont give up on him yet!

flyyyguy
07/08/2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys. His face looked one tenth that bad last night.........

Appreciate the input

This guy eats out of my hand and im pretty attached(yes I know hes poisonous):)

hubris007
07/08/2007, 11:44 AM
I'd say to give it a chance. Might be good to get it into your hospital tank so you can treat it if you need to.

justinl
07/08/2007, 11:51 AM
i dont think the fins would be any problem, they can regenerate those easily enough. the face does look ghoulish but it may just be a surface wound.

i say give it a chance, keep water quality PRISTINE to avoid bacterial infections. I would leave it in the display unless he starts to get infected with bacteria or parasites... in that case yes, move to QT and medicate. keep a close eye on him but reduce stress as much as possible... i would cut the lights for at least 48 hours and stop checking up on him every five minutes. dont bother feeding for a while.

flyyyguy
07/08/2007, 11:56 AM
well being as there are no corals left in the tank im only running the actinics.

Its a BB tank with a big skimmer, so the major sps die off i had has already long been removed (along with a 50% water change)and i could start restocking the tank already.

thanks for the input, just wanted to make sure i was doing the right thing