PDA

View Full Version : PH up, ALK drop

aeroaustin
07/08/2007, 01:30 PM
Last time I have struggled with keep maitance PH to steady, end up low PH under 8.0, know that might have CO2 issued so I added air pump into sump and one outlet to skimmer to prdouces oxygen for bubbles

so far, pretty good number of PH until today I discovered that ALK is dropped to 7.7 DHK or 2.7 meg. the calcium is 390 ppm. Do I need to dose the raising carbonate to get ALK to up to 8.0

my guess?

1. I have some Coral that been grow. that I got rock from someone. I think I have 4 blue mushrrom, two already grows, two is baby. about 7 orange zoos, one is look alike green, glow during actinic, seems that green are starting grow alive.

2. that coral affect the parameter start to decreasing?

the parameter is

PH 8.3 to 8.4
ALK 7.7 DHK or 2.7 meg/l
calcium 390

Peter Eichler
07/08/2007, 01:40 PM
I'd suggest raising both your calcium and alkalinity a little with a 2 part calcium and buffer additive. I feel in closed systems 10-12 dKH is better than trying to duplicate natural levels. It just gives you a little more room for error and helps offset the higher amounts of organics/acids found in home aquaria. If you decide to aim for 10 dKH then I'd suggest 430ppm for Calcium.

aeroaustin
07/08/2007, 03:01 PM
can use seachem raising calcium and carbonate?

Peter Eichler
07/08/2007, 09:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10297520#post10297520 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by aeroaustin
can use seachem raising calcium and carbonate?

Their products contain boron so I won't use them anymore. THey're not horrible and many people like them but I feel there are better choices. If you're a DIY kinda guy do a google search for Randy's 2 part or look in the chemistry forum in the pinned thread with chemistry related articles. It's a great way to save money and give your aquarium all the calcium and buffers it needs.

frederickk
07/09/2007, 04:10 PM
You can also try the Kent products