PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp: Skunk cleaner Vs. Fire shrimp

jwavec
07/08/2007, 10:04 PM
Which do most of you prefer? I like the looks of the fire shrimp, but does it do anything beneficial for the tank or fish in the tank? I know the skunk cleaner will pick parasites off the fish, but it doesn't look as cool. Thanks

Gdevine
07/08/2007, 10:08 PM
Get a couple/few of each. Just introduce them all at the same time. I bought a Fire (they're not cheap) after my two skunks been in the tank for a while. When they found him...well at least it didn't last long.

Grins
07/08/2007, 10:15 PM
I like both the skunk and fires as well. Do you think they'd both work in a 55g or would I be asking for trouble?

PeterC2508
07/08/2007, 10:35 PM
I have a 120 reef with 2 fire shrimps and a cleaner. In my tank they both clean fish, but the fire shrimp hide for the day and only venture out during feeding or when I have only actinics on. I would take the cleaner shrimp because of price and behavioral characteristics

jon99
07/08/2007, 10:54 PM
My fireshrimp hid a lot. The skunk is always out in the open cleaning fish and my hand everytime it goes in the tank. Seems to have a lot more character. Grins- they should be fine. Mine were, until the green brittle ate the fireshrimp.

Grins
07/08/2007, 10:55 PM
Thanks Jon. I want the skunk for cleaning but the fires are just so attractive I was hoping it would be out enough to enjoy as well.

chujai
07/08/2007, 10:59 PM
i had 2 skunks in my 16g for like, 2 months before i introduced 2 fires.... no real problems... the fires clean better than the skunks for me, they go up to the watchman goby all the time where the skunks just pick on my feather dusters and stuff all day.... sorta gets annoying.

and the skunks are very scared of the fires, when they come around they run haha

blot60
07/09/2007, 01:36 AM
I have one of each. They are in a 30g awaiting transfer into new 120. They lived in my 60g.

Sepeku
07/09/2007, 07:37 AM
Maybe it helps, but I've gone from having a hoard of peppermint shrimp to just one.
When I had 5, they would always cruise around the tank in packs. Now I only have one and he's cryptic at best. I see his molts more than the shrimp itself.

Maybe that is the same with other shrimps?