PDA

View Full Version : JBJ 28 HQI -Plumbing

sbcaes
07/08/2007, 11:14 PM
Hey guys hoping to get some people's input on this.

Has anyone tried or can think of a way to put in a HOB overflow? on the back of the HQI? I want to plumb the Hqi to a 10aga refugium. Any ideas on how to do this without the drilling?

reefman13
07/08/2007, 11:15 PM
YOU HAVE ONE?!?!?!?!?

sbcaes
07/08/2007, 11:28 PM
yep. trying to figure out how to plumb this thing to a 10aga via gravity. so i dont have to deal with one pump being stronger than the other.

sbcaes
07/08/2007, 11:31 PM
if you want one. try pacific reef in Fountain Valley, ask for Brian. Real cool Cat takes care of you too if anything EVER goes wrong esp with JBJ products. give him a ring 714-964-8899

reefman13
07/08/2007, 11:35 PM
Fountain Valley where? When I decide to get a tank for my sister, (give her my current 12g and upgrade to that I want to know where to get one.

sbcaes
07/08/2007, 11:40 PM
well they only have a few left. so id do it ASAP unless you want to wait till August or later. its off S. brookhurst at the intersection where the mcdonalds is (left hand side)

tell him Caesar from SB referred you.

sbcaes
07/08/2007, 11:40 PM
-Back to topic-

JBJ 28 HQI -Plumbing

Hey guys hoping to get some people's input on this.

Has anyone tried or can think of a way to put in a HOB overflow? on the back of the HQI? I want to plumb the Hqi to a 10aga refugium. Any ideas on how to do this without the drilling?

mike1962
07/09/2007, 10:14 AM
I'm interested in hearing how someone might do this as well. Since I'm new to SW I don't have any experience in this area, but just purchased a JBJ 28G 150 HQI.

I posted pics in a previous thread, and last night updated it with pics of the back for anyone who is interested.

zimmy1979
07/12/2007, 12:25 PM
Hmm I would be interested as well. I am currently making the center chamber a refugium and removing the 3 stage filter system. I purchased the LED light system from nanotuners so that I can keep chaeto. I was thinking that if I made that center chamber a refugium and bought a HOB skimmer it would be good enough for algae control.

mike1962
07/12/2007, 06:28 PM
Zimmy,

What kind of LED lights did you get from Nanotuners? Have you set up the center chamber with the Chaeto yet? If so, how is it working out? I like the idea.

Mark426
07/13/2007, 05:28 AM
You could always use U tubes, but I hate those things. I would drill it even if I had to take everything out and set it up again. In the long run its the best way, do it right from the beginning and you will be so much happier.

dynaschm0e
07/15/2007, 07:06 AM
A reefcentral member, melev, has a bunch of articles on reefcentral, and his site www.melevsreef.com, about building and configuring overflow boxes for reef tanks and even using dosing pumps as primers for the overflow in case the power ever goes out.

I was considering as a refugium either putting a NC6 or 12 above and behind the NC28 and drilling the smaller tank to use gravity to feed the return, or using/building an overflow box and putting the smaller tank/refugium below the NC28: definitely not willing to drill the NC28 as a first try. Now that we have seen all of the space in the back overflow of the NC28, we are thinking we will just remove the media tray and pack the center compartment of the overflow with chaeto and use a mini 9”-5” 18W 6500k PC lamp against the back glass.

My mind has wandered through all of the drilling and tank placement options, now we think we will use the KISS theory (keep it simple stupid) and try a refugium in the back of the tank. If the refugium in the back of the tank ever became an issue, we would already have the mini light, one of the needed components in the AQ70 refugium mod, and would try that. Good luck modding! Please post with results. Thank you. –Trey

P.S. - Our first reef tank purchase was an RO/DI unit from melevsreef.com. It was a great buy, and melev was very willing to answer my questions, as it was my first plumbing attempt.

mike1962
07/15/2007, 01:01 PM
Trey,

Very informative. Keep us in the loop as your mod progresses, and post pics if you can.

So I take it that your tank isn't yet set-up (live rock)? That you are getting ready to mod?

Tree6foot6
07/15/2007, 04:48 PM
I dont see why you couldent drill a hole in the bottom of an Aqua Clear HOB filter then put in a bulk head, run a peice of flexible tubing down into the sump.

Maybe im just crazy but i think it just might work.

jlt23
07/15/2007, 05:31 PM
What about a live reef overflow? They make a slim line which might fit.

dynaschm0e
07/16/2007, 05:37 AM
mike1962,

No our NC28 is not yet set-up with live rock or saltwater. We are collecting parts for the refugium mod, looking to purchase the nanotuners NC28 light mod, and saving for a chiller. We thought it would be easier to apply mods while the tank was empty and movable, as opposed to full and stuck against the wall. This is our first reef tank attempt and we were hoping to have tank as desired before stocking with life instead of adding mods to a production tank and risking the loss of the inhabitants. We will post with pics once materials arrive and the modding begins. Thank you. -Trey