PDA

View Full Version : sick fish

Traceydoak
07/09/2007, 01:26 PM
Hi,
i am wondering if a sudden spike of heat in my water would cause my fish to get a fungas all over their body and die? i have a 54 gallong corner tank , i had a butterfly fish, a tang ( not a yellow one he was black and gray) a file fish, a black annd white clown and a randall goby. all I have left now is my black and white clown and the goby..everyone else died.. i did all i could to get my water temp down, floating bags of ice, frozen water bottles, my temp came down the same day..it was up to 86..it basically stays between 77 and 80.. been having a hard time with keeping it steady because of the heat we keep getting.. I treated the water with garlic extract, and some vitamin stuff i got at the fish store...the butterfly fish was lookingbette and eating, thenthe next morning he wasdead..wondering what to do, any suggestions.. my clown still has a fungas one him, not as bad.. but you can still see it.. its is like a white film...is their anythingelse i can add to the water, I do have corals, anomes, mushrooms, polyps....
thank you...

Grins
07/09/2007, 01:58 PM
If it was me I'd put the clown and goby in a hospital tank and treat as well as work on getting your temp steady.

I'd also check sites like http://wetwebmedia.com/mardisindex.htm to identify the disease/parasite you were dealing with.

Traceydoak
07/09/2007, 02:21 PM
I don't have a hospital tank..all I am doing is adding Garlic extract daily to the tank and the food along with the vitamins that I was told would help my fish. do you have a suggestion on what to treat them with that would bereef safe as not to kill off anythingelse in my tank?thank you for any information,I will check out the link you sent.

kevin2000
07/09/2007, 02:34 PM
My 02

A picture would help.

Stocking levels are critical when it comes to water quality and fish health .. your tank is fully stocked now (before the other fish deaths) and you have some fish that would prefer a larger mature tank.

Fungal problems are rare in SW so that would not be high on my list of possibilities. Fish will exude excess mucus when attempting to shed external parasites - that excess mucus can be confused for fungus .. common parasite diseases include ich, marine velvet and brooklynella.

If you can get a picture of a fish I suggest you repost over at the disease forum.

Liveaquaria.com and marinedepotlive.com are two good on-line sites which give you good info about fish .. minimum tank size, compatibility, and how difficult they are to keep.

Grins
07/09/2007, 02:38 PM
The garlic will only help their appetite in my opinion. Not cure a parasite or disease. Sincerely, get a hospital/QT tank. They are cheap to set-up and are a must.

Traceydoak
07/09/2007, 02:47 PM
Thanks..I will check out those websites and see what i can find.. do you think this sickness or what ever it is was caused by the high spike in my water temp, that is what they said at the place i bought the fish at..I had just purchased the butterfly and the tang.they were doing great for a day or so, then I had the heat spike, and then thay got sick.I am jus twondering if I was sold fish that already had a dieses, Like Ich, and now it has affected my tank...

ahullsb
07/09/2007, 03:09 PM
It's very possible the fish you bought already had ich. Or it could have been in your tank from previous additions. The temperature spike could have stressed them out enough to cause the outbreak. If you determine it is ich, qt your fish. If money is a concern then you can buy a rubbermaid garbage can and use that. Hyposalinity is worth the trouble if it is to avoid having the kind of fish loss that you just experienced! If you are having trouble with the temperature, keep a fan blowing across the surface of the water during the day. In addition if you have lids on your tank, remove them and use eggcrate or some sort of netting instead.

kuoka
07/09/2007, 04:32 PM
In addition to what others have said about your fish, you could try a fan to lower your temps. I use a clip on vornado in my sump and it helps a lot.

Traceydoak
07/10/2007, 09:40 AM
Thank you for your help and information..I do have a fan blowing on the tank every day right now... but i think I might get a clip on and set that to the tank too..should I put it on the top of the tank or underneath where i have the overflow set up..I am still very new to this, so I have lots of questions and i will take any information and help..thank you so much!

Traceydoak
07/10/2007, 09:47 AM
Thank you for your help and information..I do have a fan blowing on the tank every day right now... but i think I might get a clip on and set that to the tank too..should I put it on the top of the tank or underneath where i have the overflow set up..I am still very new to this, so I have lots of questions and i will take any information and help..thank you so much!

kuoka
07/10/2007, 10:02 AM
I have mine down below over the sump.

ahullsb
07/10/2007, 12:01 PM
I will eventually get a little fan for the sump. Right now I have a full size fan blowing across the display tank. It's the heat from my lighting that I am trying to "blow away."

kuoka
07/10/2007, 12:06 PM
I wanted to flow my fan across the top too but I don't have anywhere to clip it and my lights sit on top of the cover. I found blowing it over the sump still helps a lot.

Traceydoak
07/10/2007, 12:07 PM
Great..thanks..I will get one for both the top and bottom...mine is just sitting in front of the tank blowing directly on it.. seems to be helping some..and on the days that it is really hot, i will shut off the white light, and just leave the blue light on almost all day, I will turn the white light on for a couple of hours when i get home..

kuoka
07/10/2007, 12:34 PM
That should help tremendously. On real hot days, I turn off my lights altogether. Good luck!

Traceydoak
07/10/2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks again..so my main conmncern would beto make sure i can control thetemp over the summer.. what is the ideal range..since i have been doing this, I have had the temps range from 77-80..what is the most extreme the temp can get before it can cause lots of problems.. other then the loss of almost all my tank ;( everything else looks great..my clown looked better last night, so hopefully when i get home today he will be even better..and it seems to not have even bothered the Goby, I see no signs of the Ick on him at all...thank you so much!

kuoka
07/10/2007, 12:59 PM
There are several threads on here about ideal temps. I'd say 77-80 should be fine (mine ranges from 78-80).

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1158106&highlight=temp

Ich doesn't do well in warm water (meaning it speeds up the time in which it has to find a new host) before it dies. So maybe your increased temps helped. But you have to watch that too for obvious reasons.

I wish your clown and goby well! :)

Traceydoak
07/10/2007, 01:37 PM
thanks again.. you have helped me out a lot! ;o)I hope my last 2 make it too.. its sad to lose such pretty fish! hopefully the heat spike will kill it off sooner..My clown seems to be a pretty strong fish..so I have my fingers crossed..I have had him the longest! so far i have been able to maintain my heat..and when i see it start to get over 80..like 80.5 i will add an ice bag to the water to bring it down.... thank you, you seem to know quite a bit...I am still so new to all of this.. but i love it, and i will have my tank forever...

backyardspecial
07/10/2007, 02:06 PM
Do you have a controller for temp? Let me suggest an item for you. Try looking into a 2-stage Ranco temp controller. It's going to cost about $130 but it will do all the temp control for you. It will control your fans and your heaters.

kuoka
07/10/2007, 04:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10312211#post10312211 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by backyardspecial
Do you have a controller for temp? Let me suggest an item for you. Try looking into a 2-stage Ranco temp controller. It's going to cost about $130 but it will do all the temp control for you. It will control your fans and your heaters.

Great idea Backyardspecial. I just ordered one from eBay for $105. Thanks!

Traceydoak
07/11/2007, 09:23 AM
Thanks..i am going to def look into that.. sounds like it will help me out...
;o)