PDA

View Full Version : Remora pro skimmer sucks..any recommendation? What you favorite skimmer for the money

j007dreamer
07/09/2007, 04:46 PM
I have a remora pro and im very unhappy with it. I'm looking to get another HOB for my 50 gallon tank

i was about to by the coralife when you guys at RF saved me from them seems that most agree that coralife is not worth the money

I would love to get the Deltec HOB but just dont have the money right now and im with the way the remora being just about broken i need something right away.

Price range 150$ maybe 200$ if it is really nice

there are to many to pick from... PLEASE HELP i need one right away

also if anyone is selling any ?????

Hop
07/09/2007, 04:57 PM
The problem is that there is no HOB skimmer that is going to perform to the level of an insump skimmer. You have two major issues with HOB, the lack of dwell time and finding one that has enough pump to produce surface area with more and smaller bubbles. When it comes to the HOB world you have to pick the one that sucks the least for your application:)

JPagliai
07/09/2007, 05:00 PM
I've been using the remora pro for 5 years now and I love it. How long have you had the unit on your tank? They are annoying in the beginning, but they get better after they've been in the tank a while.

j007dreamer
07/09/2007, 06:36 PM
I have had the remora for about 2 years and it has never really worked good .. it was better when i 1st got it
so i thought maybe the pump was breaking or it needed to be cleaned so i did both and no luck
i contact remora and asked and they can not seem to get to the bottom of the problem
at one point it was making bubbles but they where hardly getting in to the cup and now I GET NO BUBBLES AT ALL BUT THE PUMP IS STILL RUNNING

Sarcophyton874
07/09/2007, 06:44 PM
I've heard good things about the Bermuda Aquatics HOB skimmer. I do agree with you though. The Remora is pretty much overrated and should only be used on 30G or less.

j007dreamer
07/09/2007, 07:24 PM
Do you think if i got a higher rated maxi jet pump it will help ?

JPagliai
07/09/2007, 07:29 PM
That's really odd. I wonder if the sprayers are clogged or something? What size powerhead are you using? I have mine hooked up with a Rio 1400. I had to change the powerhead once, but other than that it's been working perfectly for years. I still get a fair amount of debris in the cup from feeding the fish every other day.

If you're having problems with the unit, I don't blame you for wanting to switch brands. Honestly, I can't say that I'd react any differently. However, I do believe you just got a bum unit.

I had a CPR BakPak before I bought the remora and I really didn't like it. I never collected much from the unit and I always had a trace nitrate test. I don't have experience with any other HOB units that would even be considered today. I had one of the airstone units when I first started...it was in the trash a couple months later.

j007dreamer
07/09/2007, 07:33 PM
it's came with a maxi -jet 1200 and i replaced it with another maxi-jet 1200 not to long ago
cause i thought the pump was the problem, i even cleaned it the best i could but nothing seems to work
that screw in it won't come out for nothing ? and im not even sure what it's for to start with i think it is just to better clean it. but i dont think that screw is even moving

should i get a bigger better pump ? would that even matter cause this one is running ?and still nothing

JPagliai
07/09/2007, 08:07 PM
I hate to tell you to invest in another pump just to find out that you're still not happy. I got my remora at Premium Aquatics with the Rio 1400 pump on it. I see they offer it with a Mag 350 and Mag 700 as "upgrades". If you think you could use the pump for something else if things didn't pan out, then try it. Or maybe you could borrow one of these pumps from a friend or local club, just to see if it helps.

bohlke
07/09/2007, 08:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10306694#post10306694 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by j007dreamer
it's came with a maxi -jet 1200 and i replaced it with another maxi-jet 1200 not to long ago
cause i thought the pump was the problem, i even cleaned it the best i could but nothing seems to work
that screw in it won't come out for nothing ? and im not even sure what it's for to start with i think it is just to better clean it. but i dont think that screw is even moving

should i get a bigger better pump ? would that even matter cause this one is running ?and still nothing

hmm you really need to remove that screw to clean the injector, also have you tried replacing the hose barb fitting with a piece of pvc and hose (cant seem to find the link for the mod).

jlt23
07/09/2007, 08:52 PM
I have a Deltec MCE300 and I would recommend it. It's going to cost you close to $300 though. I would save up more and get one.

CeeGee
07/09/2007, 08:59 PM
I don't think a maxi-jet is enough for the remora pro. Remora yes, Remora Pro no.

The problem with the mag pumps is they are heavy.

I would find another skimmer. Mine is sitting on the floor. I need to sell it but I would kinda feel bad pawning that thing off on someone. On the other hand I actually set up a sump and installed a ASM G3 to replace the Remora Pro. I am not real happy with it either. I want a H&S but I don't have a extra grand laying around.

dc
07/09/2007, 09:41 PM
I like mine also, I've had it several years. I bought it with a mag 3.

mile sq. reefer
07/09/2007, 10:35 PM
I agree wit dc. I have the pro with a Mag3 and like it. It produces good skimmate, dark green in color. People were also complaining about the more expensive Deltecs.

JPagliai
07/10/2007, 04:36 AM
I have a few more thoughts... Is the amount of skimmage the only consideration here? If so, there are a number of factors that affect that. The Remora Pro is a bit large for your tank, it may be over skimming to the point where there's little to do. Also, how many fish are you keeping? How often do you feed them? What are you using for supplements? Where is the set screw on the cup? If that's too high, it won't collect anything. All of these factors affect the amount of skimmage you'll collect. Are you having cyano or nuisance algae problems? What are the nitrate levels? Are there any other indications of a problem besides the amount of skimmage?

Basically, if you're not hearing a good strong hissing noise when you turn on the pump, it could be a clog or that the pump just isn't strong enough to push the water through the unit properly. Try a different pump and see if you get some improvement. It could be a bum unit, or maybe its working just fine and one of these other factors are the culprit.

Cody Ray
07/10/2007, 04:46 AM
In all honesty you have one of the best hob skimmers available. However a maxijet is REALLY underpowered for that skimmer.

RichConley
07/10/2007, 08:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10306659#post10306659 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JPagliai
That's really odd. I wonder if the sprayers are clogged or something? What size powerhead are you using? I have mine hooked up with a Rio 1400. I had to change the powerhead once, but other than that it's been working perfectly for years. I still get a fair amount of debris in the cup from feeding the fish every other day.

If you're having problems with the unit, I don't blame you for wanting to switch brands. Honestly, I can't say that I'd react any differently. However, I do believe you just got a bum unit.

Thats the problem, theres a LOT of bum remoras and very few good ones. Theyre built (and cut) by hand, and theyre all different. Some work great, some dont work at all, and some need larger pumps than theyre supposed to.

If you have to feed your fish every other day, your skimmer isnt working well enough.

As to the remora being one of the best HOBS? Not a chance. A properly set up backpak is a better skimmer (and by properly set up, I mean using a small meshwheel, not a maxijet). I also doesnt use nearly the electricity, or make nearly the noise of the remora.