PDA

View Full Version : Meshmod or Feeding or Both?

aninjaatemyshoe
07/10/2007, 01:08 AM
I have an AquaEuro 135 Recirc skimmer that I've made some modifications to. I swapped out the stock pump for an OR 2700 and increased the inlet/outlet piping. I also removed the Tee and replaced with a 45deg fitting. I would really like to squeeze every ounce of performance that I can out of this body. For reference, it has a 5.9" diameter reaction chamber that is ~16" tall with a 2 3/4" diameter neck. First thing I'm wondering is what would be the ideal LPH or SCFH of air that I should shoot for. I want to get as much as I can without compromising performance/overloading the neck/creating too much turbulence etc. Next thing I'm questioning is how I should best attain that. I've already changed pumps and created a venturi for it. I bought an air pump that can deliver 38LPH, which I'm sure is well more than enough even after factoring head pressure. I'm also considering doing a mesh mod to the impeller. My question is which strategy is best? Force feed via air pump, mesh mod, do both? If it is just as good to force feed than it is to mesh mod, I would prefer the former as it would be the most reversible of the two methods. But I'm wondering if this is a good means of delivering air and whether this can put bad stress on the OR pump. Any thoughts?

aninjaatemyshoe
07/10/2007, 02:06 PM
bump

aninjaatemyshoe
07/10/2007, 07:33 PM
bump

aninjaatemyshoe
07/11/2007, 12:56 PM
anyone?

aninjaatemyshoe
07/12/2007, 12:10 AM
bump

musty baby
07/12/2007, 01:01 AM
Just mesh mod it, get as much air through the thing as you can, and restrict the air intake to the point where you're not skimming too wet (better yet, drop the water level in the skimmer to do this).

Also, I noticed that you said your pump can push 38 lph into your pump. If you go through the meshmod threads, you'll find that the air pull is usually given in liters per minute. If you made a mistake and it can push 38 liters per minute, that much air will cavitate the pump, with or without the mesh mod.

aninjaatemyshoe
07/12/2007, 08:35 PM
Yeah, it was 38 lpm, not lph. Was not considering using all that air. I was definitely going to dial it down.

The thing is that I would actually prefer the feeding as opposed to the meshmod as long as it is just as good. I can always remove the air pump, whereas undoing the meshmod would probably require replacing the impeller. Also, the way I installed my new pump, it would be a pain in the arse to remove it and mess with the impeller.

On a side note, I have managed to measure the air through-put of my skimmer with no extra mods. I'm getting just around 14 SCFH. I'm finding I have to dial it down at this point to prevent overly wet skimming. Does this seem low to have to dial it down? I have the outlet ball valve completely open. Too bad these guys don't use a riser instead. I think I might have to mod one.