PDA

View Full Version : Pulser that doesnt pulse

AquaJern
07/10/2007, 11:05 AM
I bought one recently and It will not pulse at all any suggestions on why this may be happening.

apex003
07/10/2007, 11:11 AM
what's your flow like? I've heard they won't pulse as much in high flow.

gflat65
07/10/2007, 11:26 AM
Xenia are strange animals. Temperature has an effect on pulse, as well as flow and maybe even lighting (never paid attention to lighting changes and pulse rate). Some are just a PITA and don't do what you want them to do. In my tanks, they typically melt at some point (may be months or years down the road, but it seems inevitable). Not sure if I keep my water too clean, too much light, etc...

Sk8r
07/10/2007, 11:32 AM
I've heard that iodine has something to do with it, as with crab molt, but be careful adding anything you can't test for.

AquaJern
07/12/2007, 04:03 AM
Thanks for insight

My flow is moderate since ill be keeping mostly lps...
I heared the iodine thing too, but havent look to much into it.

drummereef
07/14/2007, 09:21 AM
It took my Silver Tip Xenia over a week to start pulsing. Give it some time to acclimate. ;)

Lytehouse
07/14/2007, 10:53 AM
I think drimmereef has a good point. Mine didn't even fully extend for couple days and didn't pulse for about a full week.

DiViNeLeFT
07/14/2007, 11:25 AM
my xenia elongata was pulsing in the bag while acclimating and did great for about 3 months growing like a weed. it stopped growing and expanding as much for the last month or so and also stopped pulsing. i just got a new refractometer and found my salinity had gradually lowered to 1.021... i moved it back up to 1.025 and the xenia is looking better and also started to pulse again. ive also read that lower alk with have an effect on pulsing. i rely mostly on waterchanges for calcium and alk so either low salinity or lower calc/alk levels do to lower salinity was the cause of my xenia problems... hope this helps.

lstrps
07/16/2007, 11:23 AM
^ i also keep my salinity around 1.025 and mine pulses like mad

theROYSKIE
07/16/2007, 11:28 AM
overall water quality is the key
DIVINE hit it on the head
b carefull with water changes
1) be sure to buff new water for alk and ph, god only knows what the ph of tap is. even r.o. wont right the ph
2) the tank needs to be fairly established for your xenia to give u a show. 2 many water changes can take away from healthy levels of waste in your tank
also as i have found out xenia has a very short life span, some sprouted out of my rock about 7 months ago and multiplied into 5 giant healthy stocks. then about 4 or 5 wks ago they all started to shrivel up. as did several other colonies in several other tanks. how they r all on the same page idk.
they r seasonal and the die off is normal. in a coulple of months they will reappear sprouting all over the place.
unless u grow yours from infancy u cant b 2 sure of how old the purchased colony is.
if water quality is good and other inhabitants r flourishing it might b in the twilight of its life. most retailers would sell u the shirt of YOUR back to make a buck so u cant always go on what they claim.
good luck!