PDA

View Full Version : Colorimeter options??

E-A-G-L-E-S
07/10/2007, 10:06 PM
A Hanna with a reagent pack is $200, a Martini is ~$400. If I'm going to spend $200 I want to make sure it is worth it.
Or is there another option I should look at?

E-A-G-L-E-S
07/11/2007, 02:43 PM
Anyone use a Hanna or anyother brand with an opinion or advice?

glassbox-design
07/11/2007, 02:58 PM
i've seen the martini's over at aquacave and was wondering the same. i've only used a hanna, thanks to a friend, and have only heard of those when refering to colorimeters and our tanks...but i'd like to hear more about the others out there.

flyyyguy
07/11/2007, 03:01 PM
JMO and im sorry if it doesnt help your question at all.......

but cook your rocks, ensure your rodi is always producing a tds of zero and put the $200-400 you would spend on a colorimeter towards a bigger skimmer if you dont already have one, or possibly improving your tank flow to help the cause.

Unless ofcourse you just like more toys and have the extra cash laying around. :)

glassbox-design
07/11/2007, 03:12 PM
Although sound advice, Matt's system is well planned and I think I am safe to say he and many others such as myself want it to verify and confirm po4 levels.

colorimeter's are great particularly when you work so hard to get po4 down...sometimes it is too low...i shoot for .o3-.o5. lower and colors fade.

jmo

E-A-G-L-E-S
07/11/2007, 03:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10320112#post10320112 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flint&Eric
Although sound advice, Matt's system is well planned and I think I am safe to say he and many others such as myself want it to verify and confirm po4 levels.

colorimeter's are great particularly when you work so hard to get po4 down...sometimes it is too low...i shoot for .o3-.o5. lower and colors fade.

jmo

As best planned as I can do at least, lol.
.....and I would rather not cook them, can't stand the look of dead/white rock. And I don't think my tankfull of sps would appreciate not having any l.r. for 3-6 months.

flyyyguy
07/11/2007, 03:52 PM
I didnt mean cook as in "cook" in the oven. ;)

I wouldnt mind knowing my actual levels either to be honest.

It would be a nice thing to have some similar minded reefers local to me to go in on and i could defitnely swallow part of that cost just to know, instead of eating the cost all on one person.

E-A-G-L-E-S
07/11/2007, 03:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10320423#post10320423 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flyyyguy
I didnt mean cook as in "cook" in the oven. ;)

It would be a nice thing to have some similar minded reefers local to me to go in on and i could defitnely swallow part of that cost just to know, instead of eating the cost all on one person.

1. Obviously, lol.

2. I wish too, but there is only one serious sps reefer really close to me and not sure he would go in on one.

So any colorimeter users out there?

DocG
07/11/2007, 04:12 PM
I have the Hanna.

I used it and the Deltec Merck kit side by side and they gave me the same reading.

The Hanna is very easy to use and even has a timer on it so it will count down the three minutes for you before displaying the result.

I think that it is worth it because I hate having to match up the colors on the Merck kit, especially at the lower end.

It is not the most essential piece of equipment in the world but it sure is nice to have.

My review is:

:thumbsup:

Thumbs up