PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a electrician/handyman?

Szwalla
07/11/2007, 06:10 PM
I attempted the supposed easy task of swapping out two outlets. I was going from normal to GFI. They were cheap ones, around $13 a piece from Walmart. The one outlet only had 2 wires, the other had four. I am guessing the problem is with the one with four.

After completion I was shocked when I touched the water. Had to remove everything right away. Currently I have extension cords run over to the tank from the laundry room. Worst case scenario, I will revert back to the old outlets.

But if you know someone who can work on short notice and wont be to hard on my pockets....let me know.

Thanks,

fatrip
07/11/2007, 06:17 PM
i might be able to help you out there but i am not understanding what you mean by one has 2 wire and one has 4..do you mean screws for the wires to attach to???

Szwalla
07/11/2007, 06:23 PM
Both outlets have four screws plus one for the ground.

On the first outlet I pulled, the one set of screws (lower ones) were not utilized.

The second outlet was originally setup with two seperate sets of wires hooked up. Each set having one black and one white. I assume it was kind of like a daisy chain to supply power to the next outlet. I could be wrong.

I dont know about you but I just confused myself.

fatrip
07/11/2007, 06:30 PM
yes the one out let you had was the end of the chain and the second was in the middle of the chain. now question is did you hook the black and the white to the right sides...if you think you did how did you determin what side which one goes one?? usualy if they are not marked as black or white it is that the black goes on the left if the ground pins on the outlet are pointing down.

Szwalla
07/11/2007, 06:31 PM
I would be willing to pay in the neighborhood of $50 an hour if someone had the time and the skill. I would even throw in a cold beverage of your choice (Had to throw in the deal maker)

fatrip
07/11/2007, 06:31 PM
that kind of sounded like i am insulting your inteligents...i am sorry for that but i am trying to see how you wired it...

fatrip
07/11/2007, 06:32 PM
i could come over and take a look i dont need any payment...lol but the beverage ould be nice lol j/k

Szwalla
07/11/2007, 06:33 PM
Once my better half gets home...I am going to go back downstairs and recheck them.

fatrip
07/11/2007, 06:35 PM
well if you need i can come take a look....i have nothing to do right now...just added a RDSB and it is cloudy so i can't see or anything...lol...

Szwalla
07/11/2007, 06:38 PM
I dont know what time Aimee (my wife) will be home. Victoria Secret sale is ending today....j/k but she is there. Then she has to go to Wegman's ... so it might be late. Definitely tomorrow if I dont get it licked. I already plan on abducting another STR member for a little while.

fatrip
07/11/2007, 06:41 PM
aighty...i am up untill about 11:30 if you need to night...i should be free tomorrow as well...

Szwalla
07/11/2007, 06:46 PM
Thank you.

What would happen if the wires were attached on the wrong sides? I know they arent but was just wondering.

fatrip
07/11/2007, 06:54 PM
well depends...on a GFI im not sure if it would kill the insides of the GFI curcuit or not but on a regular outlet if the unit you were pluging in was polarized it would not work and potentialy short, and if you did it to the one with 2 sets of B/W wires you could potentially short your curcuit togeather and trip the breaker or start a fire...so i dont think you would have connected them wrong but there is that chance that it messed the GFI up. when you look at it tonight if you have a voltage indicator try pluging one of your pieces of equitment that is in your tank...ie heater...and see if you get current through the tank...check both outlets. and then if you dont find voltage going into your tank...which you should, but if you dont try the pump and so on.

nwrogers
07/11/2007, 06:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10321516#post10321516 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Szwalla
I already plan on abducting another STR member for a little while.

:beer:

fatrip
07/11/2007, 06:57 PM
oh if you put the wires the wrong way, it could have potentially shorted a pump or power head and that would put voltage into the water.

03Mach
07/11/2007, 07:00 PM
So the original outlet only had two wires?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that just mean it's the older type of outlet that's ungrounded?

Szwalla
07/11/2007, 07:05 PM
It had a ground too. Bare copper wire.

The basement was wired by real knuckleheads about 4/5 years ago.
I would hope that it is all new wire.

fatrip
07/11/2007, 07:05 PM
i think what he ment was there was only one set of 3...black white and ground...

03Mach
07/11/2007, 07:11 PM
Oh, Ok.. I know that back in the day houses were wired with the ground neutral combo, so there were only 2 wires in the unit. That type of situation makes for tougher GFI installation.

Szwalla
07/11/2007, 07:12 PM
I had to have some things rewired. In one area, if the dehumidifier and vacuum were on, the breaker would trip.

My tang did change complexion and attitude for a short while. He looks ok now. He ate and punked out some of the other fish. I will still change some water. I have around 20 gallons ready.

I think Nate/Fatrip might be right...I am thinking the one heater might need to go. The other one is working fine. Tomorrow I can upgrade but no store local has the better stuff.

fatrip
07/11/2007, 07:16 PM
i use the Marineland® Visi-Therm® Stealth and you can get them at petsmart...they are plastic and have worked great for my tank, i have 2 of them in there...if you are goin to get them i would suggest look at them online ant petsmart.com and printed out there on line price for which wattage one you want and they will match it in store....

fatrip
07/11/2007, 07:17 PM
the prices range from 24 to 29 dollars...

03Mach
07/11/2007, 07:19 PM
I second the Stealth heaters, I have one if my Aquapod and love it.

fatrip
07/12/2007, 08:35 AM
any new news from last night??? try anything??

Szwalla
07/13/2007, 07:41 AM
fatrip/nwrogers,

I cannot thank you guys enough. I really appreciate you sacrificing your sleep in order to better my family's tank.

nwrogers,

Last night you were explaining "deltec" (noise reduction tool). Can you make those?

Thanks again,

Also thanks about the wrasse mention...I have wasted 30 minutes looking at different Halichoeres.

fatrip
07/13/2007, 07:43 AM
they are duroso's...and yes they are very easy to construct...

nwrogers
07/13/2007, 08:01 AM
No problem Mike. I am glad we got it up and running for you. Vince is right it is called a durso and you can build them fairly easily and cheaply. Here are the instructions…

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/BuildYourOwn/tabid/54/Default.aspx

nwrogers
07/13/2007, 08:15 AM
Also just so you know not all Halichores wrasses make good reef inhabitants. You should choose one of the smaller ones like the iridis, melanurus, trispilus, maybe ornatissimus, or chloropterus. Look around and do a search on wetwebmedia.com before ordering one. If you decide to place an order with liveaquaria.com let me know because I may want to get in on that :)

Szwalla
07/13/2007, 08:15 AM
Thanks,

The guy sells them there, which one should I buy?

Thanks,