PDA

View Full Version : My finger leather doesn't look good...need help

alzika
07/12/2007, 10:14 AM
The finger leather I just purchased 2 days ago. It doesn't stand up straight, it droops over to the side, but is this normal? Also, today, I noticed what appeared to be some tissue coming off of the base of the stalk.

All of my water parameters are fine and all of my other corals seem to have no issues.

I posted in the coral forum, but got no answer. I need to know what to do to possibly save my coral. What is an iodine bath and would that help it? I have lugol's solution.

HPD Turbo
07/12/2007, 10:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10325344#post10325344 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alzika
The finger leather I just purchased 2 days ago. It doesn't stand up straight, it droops over to the side, but is this normal? Also, today, I noticed what appeared to be some tissue coming off of the base of the stalk.

All of my water parameters are fine and all of my other corals seem to have no issues.

I posted in the coral forum, but got no answer. I need to know what to do to possibly save my coral. What is an iodine bath and would that help it? I have lugol's solution.

Mine did the same when first introduced, but affter 4 days comes up.
Do you have the correct flow, the tissue that you see maybe is for low flow, things that stock on the body, I dont know how to explain it.

theatrus
07/12/2007, 10:19 AM
Don't use iodine dips with soft corals. Iodine dips in general are to remove specific parasites on corals, but should not be done to corals which will not tolerate it (which includes most soft corals)

Leathers sometimes go through a skin shedding process where they look much smaller and develop a flaky waxy skin. Its a normal process. It will clear up in a few days.

What are you water parameters? (pH, temperature, alk, presence of ammonia would be most critical)

steri
07/12/2007, 10:24 AM
My Toadstool leather I bought took 4 days to open up. I remember being real worried on the 3rd day that it was dying. Most of my corals seemed fine after a day tops. My leather though took 4 days. Now he's open and looks very very happy....except that his top is a lot bigger then his stalk, and his head is starting to tilt on the heavier side a little bit. The cons of having a big head a guess ;)

alzika
07/12/2007, 10:31 AM
Around the tissue at the base I think I can see it's skeleton, it's white and looks strange.

HPD Turbo
07/12/2007, 10:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10325425#post10325425 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by steri
My Toadstool leather I bought took 4 days to open up. I remember being real worried on the 3rd day that it was dying. Most of my corals seemed fine after a day tops. My leather though took 4 days. Now he's open and looks very very happy....except that his top is a lot bigger then his stalk, and his head is starting to tilt on the heavier side a little bit. The cons of having a big head a guess ;)
Frag the head?

steri
07/12/2007, 10:35 AM
I have no idea what that is, but the way you describe it does nto sound good. Usually leathers are simple corals to keep. Do you know what your params are?

UnderCoverDork
07/12/2007, 10:51 AM
we need more information to help. That is the reason you probably didnt get a reply in the coral section. It could be 100 diffrent things.

Sk8r
07/12/2007, 10:53 AM
check your alkalinity. S/b around 8.3.

fishyvet
07/12/2007, 11:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10325382#post10325382 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by theatrus
Don't use iodine dips with soft corals. Iodine dips in general are to remove specific parasites on corals, but should not be done to corals which will not tolerate it (which includes most soft corals)

I iodine dipped my finger leather several times when it started necrosing for an unknown reason. The leather has been doing much better since (several months out now). Never heard that they would not tolerate it.

drummereef
07/12/2007, 11:07 AM
Can you please list all your water parameters? ;)

alzika
07/12/2007, 05:58 PM
The ones I can check:

salinity 1.025
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates very low, almost undetectable
ph 8.3

That's all I have test kits for

alzika
07/12/2007, 06:03 PM
My other corals such as bubble, hammer, caulastrea all seem to be doing fine. It's just the finger leather that was purchased 2 days ago.

Kissfan79
07/12/2007, 06:55 PM
Mine did the same thing and took a few days to get going and look normal. Try blowing it with a turkey baster to get rid of any excess skin it is shedding. Have faith...it will come back to looking normal.

Jim

alzika
07/15/2007, 07:32 PM
OK...well I took all of your advice and just waited, but I think things are worse...

I found the finger leather today completely detached from the rock that it was on, plus part of it turned dark brown and fell off.

What can I do now?

alzika
07/15/2007, 11:13 PM
I really need help on this, I would appreciate if someone could reply.

sabbath
07/16/2007, 04:40 AM
You really need to test for more to see more of what is going on. Alk, Mag, Ca, Phos. Most lps will test for free.

Dubbin1
07/16/2007, 05:06 AM
Stick it back on a rock and wait it out. Leathers can look almost dead for weeks and then one day look good as new.