PDA

View Full Version : HID lighting controller with high temp shutoff

Hydroguy
07/12/2007, 01:53 PM
Hello All-

I currently manufacture an all digital lighting timer and controller for the hydroponics industry. I am in the process of converting the unit for use in the aquarium industry.

This unit has a digital lighting timer. It has two outlets. A daytime outlet for running HID or Fluorescents. A nightime outlet for running moon lighting.

The unit has a waterproof temperature probe on a 16' cable. The user can adjust the maximum temperature of the tank, and if exceeded (chiller or fan outage for instance) the HID lighting will be disabled. This is a latching relay meaning the user will have to physically reset the unit before lighting is turned back on.

The unit has a hot start delay. If your tank experiences a power outage at any time, the lights will be delayed from 0-20 minutes (once again user adjustable) before restarting...allowing your ballasts and expensive lamps to cool as is preferred.

The unit has a battery backup to maintain proper photoperiods regardless of power outages. The unit has an on/off switch, mounting bracket, a 15 amp magnetic circuit breaker, and a two year warranty.

This item will retail for around $125-$140 USD.

I am not interested in selling these items directly...I am just interested in establishing the demand for an item such as this.

I am also interested in hearing from reef hobbyists which dealers and distributors are the most educated and offer the best customer service...as I would prefer to do business with those individuals.

Thank you anyone who took the time to read this, and I would appreciate your comments or feedback. My email is available in my profile to all who wish to respond.

ralphie16
07/12/2007, 03:14 PM
I have the same setup but done with a Ranco Temp dual controller. It costs roughly the same as your estimate for your product but has the added benefit of also controlling a heating element, not to mention that it is an industrial type of product with a good history of high quality. All that I needed to incorporate myself was a timer for the lights ($10) with a battery backup. Of course I could have skipped the battery backup and wired a relay but this was simpler.

Hydroguy
07/12/2007, 07:03 PM
I'm assuming that the dualk temp controller does not incorporate a latching relay?

And is there any hot start prevention mechanism?